Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Cliffs/Jordanelle and other things 1-31
I got off work early today, and had enough time to head up to Rock Cliffs. Got there a little after 1 PM. There were a few other groups out there, but not bad. There was 2-3 inches of slush however. (yuck) The action was as advertised, with fast action for decent but not large rainbows. (I lost count on the exact #) I fished in 19 ft. of water. Most were near the bottom, with some suspended. Ice was 6-8 inches. I left at 4:30. I drilled a couple holes looking for perchies, but didn't find any. The slush and the good trout bite made me lazy in searching up the perch. I didn't have any luck on browns, but I talked to a guy who had caught 2 nice browns and a big cutt (23-24 in.) as well as a host of bows. I also ran into Icesled at the ramp. He had a good day as well. It was great to meet you.

One bit of good news is that Deer Creek has ICE! There were a couple guys ice fishing around the island today. The only open part is now around the State Park ramp. Wallsburg and Rainbow bay also look like they are safe, but I didn't see anyone there. I was tempted to try it but didn't. Do be careful if you give it a go.
Tight lines.
[signature]
we were up there as well. was in the tent straight out from the ramp didn't do so well though
[signature]
Hey doggonefishin! Good to meet you. Sorry I didn't introduce myself. (wish there was some way to identify BFT folks) I was the guy that stopped by and talked to you. Fishing was OK all day. Someone mentioned it would be a good place to take kids. I wouldn't recommend that until this slush layer freezes. I spent most of the day in 2-3 inches of water. (yuck) The kids will probably fall and get wet. Old holes are not freezing over either, so watch out for those. I almost stepped in one.

I started midway across from the boat ramp and did fair. Then tried the west side and did somewhat better. Then I walked along the west side for several hundred yards. I was the farthest one that way. Fished there from the bank to almost half way across. Never did catch a perch, and I tried hard. Got into some water that was 60-70 feet deep. Still no perch.

I did manage the 22" inch cutt(4.5 lb real fat), 17" & 16" brown, and one 16" rainbow. Other than that it was those pesky little planters. Sometimes they are worse than mosquitos. Guess we need bassrods to come thin them out for us![Wink]

Later,
Chester
[signature]