Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I remember your story, TubeDude....
I remember somewhere here ya talked about fishing at Sea of Cortez. Seminole Steve at [url "http://www.canoecountry.com/bulletinboard/"]Click here: BWCA and Quetico Park Bulletin Boards, bwca, quetico, bulletin board, canoe country, boundary waters canoe area in[/url]
is talking about that area, I thought ya did like to read.

[url "http://www.network54.com/Forum/9927/message/1138731764/Let%27s+try+this+again.++OT-+Baja+Trip+Report+Spring+2003-+Prelude"]Let's try this again. OT: Baja Trip Report Spring 2003: Prelude[/url]. [url "mailtoConfusedeminole_steve@hotmail.com"]Seminole Steve[/url] Seminole Steve on Jan 31, 2006, 12:22 PM
That's his post.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for sharing that. The dude has it right. There is no place in the world (that I am aware of) that offers better fishing for the inshore light tackle angler. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have sampled the fishing at many points along both sides of the Sea of Cortez, but I have not even scratched the surface (so to speak) of the incredible potential. Because many of the species are the same throughtout the length of the long body of water, I have caught most of the more common ones. Haven't found any that I did not enjoy catching, and most of the ones I kept to eat were mighty tasty.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The guy who posted that website report said that 50 to 100 fish days were easy. That is a vast understatement. I usually do not keep count, but on a couple of trips I counted over 20 fish in 20 casts several times, and that goes on all day. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know there were days that both TubeBabe and myself caught over 200 fish each. Even though we wore protective gloves on our fish handling hands, by the end of the day our hands looked like hamburger from all of the sharp spines and gill plates that intruded on our tender flesh.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, every fish down there seems to have bigger teeth than the ones before. They really chew up lures. Plastic baits seldom lasted more than two or three fish before having to be replaced. Sometimes you would get a solid strike on your first cast with a new plastic, but reel in only the jig head and a few wisps of the new plastic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have a collection of Rat-L-Traps and other hardbaits that have been absolutely stripped of their original paint finish. Those are the lures that survived and were not chewed off or powered down into the rocks by big surly fish we could not handle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Curse you, Bluegillman. You have made me start daydreaming about hitting those lovely waters again. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is not on our agenda this year, but we are tentatively planning a long assault down there next year. Can't wait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Vamonos![/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 1]Seminole Steve uses the canoe with a little outboard to get them around. People down there were staring at those guys with that canoe that they never saw. What did they think of you and your wife in the tubing? You used the tube... did u have any ideas what is swimming down there as you both say tons of fish of all kinds (with TEETH) worried ya?[/size]
[size 1]Did you have to drive a long ways on those sands? Did you camp out there like Steve did?[/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We both did a lot of diving down there too, so we knew very well what kinds of toothy critters were in the waters. Most of those that chewed up our lures were less than five pounds in size, and not prone to dine on human flesh. So, we worried about our tackle but not our bodies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Float tubes were definitely something new to the people along the Sea of Cortez. We got a lot of strange looks. But, unlike American citizens the Mexican people are usually too polite to laugh at others. Either that, or they were so accustomed to seeing the "loco gringos" do strange things that it did not surprise them when we launched our donut dinghies into the ocean.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were a couple of places we liked to go that required driving over 50 miles on sometimes nasty desert roads. They were often nothing more than two sand-filled ruts. In many places we had to use 4 wheel drive during dry weather. If we got caught in a monsoon downpour, it was REALLY fun getting back out of there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If we were fishing close to one of the larger towns, that had motel accomodations, we sometimes "camped" in luxury...as long as the toilets and air conditioning worked. Much of the time we camped on the beach, because there were no facilities within many miles.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are some more pics. I guess I should scan some more from my photo and slide files.[/#0000ff]
[signature]