Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What goes around....
Talking to a friend today started me thinking about all the things that keep coming back. We talked about the old days when the only choice in fly rods were bamboo and glass. Then graphite was introduced. Now it seems like a lot of avid fly fishers (myself included) are going back to basics. It seems that bamboo and glass are on the got to have list again (of course, the new ones are nothing like the old ones, more technology, better hard ware, and a lot lighter) Cortland even has a new line called SYLK (which is synthetic, but, made for the full action rods like bamboo) In fact the manufacturers are coming out with full flex graphite to give the feel of bamboo for 1/4 of the cost.
Then there is clothing. As a woman I remember the bell bottoms, the band collar blazers and shirts, rough outs, harness boots and now they are back.
Cars, Ford brought back the Mustang and the Thunderbird. Scary thought remembering the Vega, Gremlin, or even the Packard, hope they don't repeat.
Can anyone think of more to add to this list?
[signature]
Bell bottoms! Yep I remember all those days! Coke was made with sugar canes now it is made with corn syrup..not the same taste. Mustang has been around but changed to look like Steve McQuinn (spelling?) movie 'Sliver Bullet' car. I know they stopped the Camaro and now it kinda looks like it's back. Those Beetles, I always love those old VW beetles and had four of them but the newer ones are ok but not the same. I had a fine mint 57 beetle not too long ago but had to sell it.[unsure]
[signature]
But for the most part BG you gotts admitt some of the remakes is COOOLL!
[signature]
Without getting too far off topic, I'm sure the old donuts (belly boats) will try to make a comeback.

Please, Please don't bring back the old Ford Falcon. I would rather mess with the old Pinto instead.

I have noticed a few newer movies that are using the old Trans Am 6.0[cool]
[signature]
FG, is it Cortland that is bringing out a new rod that is full flex? I would like to try that out.

I have a Sylk line on my three weight and can say it is not just for slow action rods. I throw it with a Sage Launch 7.5' 3 wt and it is just great. It is the most delicate line I have ever used. Thinner then normal line so it lands much softer on the water. Longer head and front taper so it turns over more delicately. Floats high, no memory, super supple. Can't ask for more. Plus it loads that med-fast action rod just like any other line.

Definately not for distance casting but then again, it's a three weight!

When is this new rod coming out??
[signature]
I am sure that all the rod manufactures make full flex, but I only know the Orvis. I have the Far and Fine 7'9" 5wt and the Trout Bum 4 pc 7' 4wt and the once ounce 7' 4 wt.
I agree totally on the SYLK. Also great for cold conditions because it is so soft. It was designed for the new bamboos (which it works great) but, I want to get some for my 5 wt and try a DT 4wt.
[signature]
Now that is one scary thought,

That means Disco is next [pirate]
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]I am not going back to a stick, a piece of cord, a bent pin and dough balls. Have to draw the line somewhere.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]Although I would just love to fly one of these dudes.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14256;]
[signature]
You give a whole new meaning to "Fly Fishing".[cool]
[signature]