Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 2-04-06
First time to Pineview. Caught 17 perch in the area close to the dam, I think I've heard it called the narrows. Used glow ice flies tipped with wax worms.
[signature]
Any size to the perch? It's good to hear there are people finging some perch again.
[signature]
Did you have orange pants on? We were just down the lake tword the dam if you did.

IFG
That was me, couldn't pass the deal on the orange coveralls. How did you guys do? I noticed you drilled several holes. Most of the fish I caught were on the smaller side. But it was fun..
[signature]
Hey James, did you let Casey catch any of those fish?
How was it getting on the ice?
How deep was the water?
Sounds like you had fun!
[signature]
IFG, were you with the 3 sleds closest to the dam? I saw some guys there and a few twords the lake from yhem. I was set up just into the narrows from the main lake, the guy with the excited Springer Spaniel (is there any other kind). I found a few perch also, 7 in about an hour. No Crappie though. How bout you guys, any crappie?
[signature]
I went by myself, Casey had other plans. Where I was fishing the water was 19ft. Getting on the ice was not the problem, getting back up the hill with all my junk was tough. I had to make two trips because the hill was to steep to pull everything up on one trip.
If the weather would have been warmer I think the slush on top of the ice would have been bad but it stayed cold enough to keep everything frozen.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey, sjgabby, so you liked my ice bridge, huh? You had to walk through 6" deep water before I built that![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]As sjgabby stated, we drill several holes looking for decent numbers and size of fish. We didn't catch as many perch as sjgabby did himself between the three of us. Sounds like the best fishing was closer to the main lake.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Things are firm in the cold mornings but there is plenty of slush after the sun has a chance to warm things up a bit. We were able to get the sleds on the lake pretty easily in the early morning but were a little concerned coming off during the mid afternoon. While we were fishing, we were breaking through the crust and sinking in to watery slush up over our ankles. Better have decent boots or you'll have wet feet! Also the edges are very tricky. Friday, MGB broke through up to his knees. So really be careful when getting on the ice. The main ice was plenty thick where we were fishing.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Parking access to Pineview could be a lot better. You are taking the chance of getting stuck if you decide to drive down into the marina parking lots. The frozen, packed crust will hold you up but if you go off it, you break through. I have been and see several people trying to get their vehicles out once they go down in these areas; all 4WD. Some are lucky and get in and out. Its a whole lot easier to avoid these situations than tempt fate. Getting stuck is no fun![/size][/font]
[signature]
Thanks BLM for the ice bridge, it it wasn't there I'm not sure I would have gotten on the ice.
What are the tricks for catching crappie through the ice? Do you need structure under the water? At what depth are the fish suspended? What do they usually bite on? I would love to try catching some ice fishing and also float tubing. Any info would be very helpful.

sjgabby
[signature]