Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scents
Having used Megastrike for a couple of years and having good luck with it. I'm wondering if anyone has used Smelly Jelly? I'm thinking of trying the crawdad blend for the sweet beavers or crank bait. Any opinions?
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]I often wondered if lab tests revealed that fish can actually smell their prey? Well here is another article about a new product. Judge for yourself.[/size][/green][/font]
[#008000][size 4][font "Poor Richard"]Invisible formula spray is fooling fish into biting [/font][font "Poor Richard"]
[/font][font "Poor Richard"]February 8, 2006
In the ancient struggle between man and fish, man has a new weapon.
Forget fancy lures, depth charges or precision casting guns. The new weapon requires vision - ultraviolet vision.
Called Fool-a-Fish, it comes in a bottle that sprays titanium dioxide on fishing lures and bait. The chemical lights up the watery depths like a disco ball, luring fish from 800m away.
Fool-a-Fish is the brainchild of a Spokane physician named Milan Jeckle - that's Dr Jeckle to you - who combined his love of chemistry and the outdoors into a new business. Fool-A-Fish is earning a growing reputation as anglers from Alaska to Florida enjoy success with the product.
"You catch three or four times more fish, and the biggest fish," Jeckle contended.
Researchers have discovered that while humans see in three colours - red, yellow-green and blue - fish and birds see a fourth colour in the ultraviolet range, which shows up as a white glow, Jeckle said. This colour is invisible to humans.
Working with David Cleary, a chemistry professor at Spokane's Gonzaga University, Jeckle came up with the formula combining titanium dioxide, which is used in sunscreens, and several other chemicals. The whitish liquid dries quickly, and will stay on a lure for some two hours, he said. It is nontoxic, odourless and washes off with soap and water. But underwater it is a beacon to fish.
In November 2004, Jeckle and two friends went to Moses Lake, in Washington, to try it out. "I put it on my bait and caught a 2.7kg walleye," Jeckle said. Later he took it to Alaska and caught several 45kg halibut.
Jeckle said many of the spray products currently used to lure fish are scent-based, because fish are known to search for food by smell. "This is based entirely on vision," Jeckle said. "This is a new way to fish. It's not just blood that attracts sharks. They can see a swimmer about 800m away." [/font][url "http://red.as-eu.falkag.net/red?cmd=url&flg=0&&rdm=81379060&dlv=631,17571,112331,64418,281973&kid=64418&ucl=111111A&dmn=.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net&scx=1024&scy=768&scc=32&sta=,,,1,,,,,,,0,6,0,20585,20332,14659,2256,803&iid=112331&bid=281973&dat=http%3A//www.iol.co.za"][font "Poor Richard"][Image: trpix.gif][/font][/url][font "Poor Richard"] [/font][font "Poor Richard"][Image: trpix.gif?&rdm=81379060&...bid=281973][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"]Jeckle makes up batches of Fool-A-Fish in his kitchen. The spray is sold in some outdoor stores in the region, and it can be ordered on Jeckle's website. It is also getting written up in fishing magazines. Northwest Angler said the formula "makes it super easy for fish to see lures or baits from great distances".
Instructors at Salmon University in Tacoma, a guide service and fishing school, also report success with the product. John Keizer, one of its chief instructors, said he found that treated herring caught three fish for every one caught on untreated herring.
Jeckle has also adapted his formula to produce Fool-A-Bird, which works on a reverse principle. Birds use ultraviolet vision to avoid humans, so Jeckle created a formula that when sprayed on a hunter's clothes, body and gun will absorb ultraviolet rays. "You spray it on yourself and they treat you like a tree trunk," Jeckle said. "They ignore you."
Jeckle grew up in Green Bay, Wisconsin, where he began fishing for perch as a boy. He practised for three decades as a family physician in Spokane, and went into semi-retirement five years ago. That's what gave him the time to develop his products.
Jeckle cautioned that Fool-A-Fish is not foolproof.
"It's not magic," Jeckle said. Some days nothing will make fish bite, and other days they will bite at anything, he said.

[green][size 4][b]What I would like to know is if fish see a 4th color that is invisible to humans - how do we know it exists?[Tongue]
[/size][/green][/font][/size][/#008000][/b]
[signature]
Thankyou for your input Mr. Hyde [Wink]
[signature]
I have used smelly jelly on many occasions. It is good as a dip for your lures, flies and even cut-baits. When fishing in rivers, it will come off if there is a moderate current though.

You do need to re-apply it after several casts in a lake or pond as it dissolves leaving a scent trail.

I actually like the ProCure better. Their formulas are actually made out of real stuff, and they hang on your lures better.

They have an injectable forula to help scent plastics of all kinds and they have a past formula that applies like the Smelly Jelly but tends to hold on to your lure a little better.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks tubeN2, procure sounds like it maybe the ticket. Where did you get yours?
[signature]
i have a scent bottle but i don't know anything about scents that well to use em.
[signature]
i was fishing at this river years ago and this old man was next to us and we got this wiff of something really bad. I ask the guy what that was and he made it up himself and he said it works great on the fish (wich it did) but if you get it on you it takes a while to get off i tried soap and water and that didn't work. But i did come home with a bunch of fish never did ask the guy what was in it.
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Sure that it wasn't skunk juice? Years ago found a trap that was apparently sprung by a skunk. Not knowing so inadvance, picked it up, brought it home and hung it up in a shed. Washed up for lunch, but then came the surprise. My hands smelled like hell. Nothing would remove the odor. Didn't have any tomato juice availabe but sure made a bee line for the store to get some. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
it was bad but had a different smell then a skunk.
[signature]
I use an Anise based Fish attractant. I heard garlic was another good one. There is an article at the bottom of the main forums about fish attractants. I found that to be quite helpful.
[signature]
i am going to try that nitro gravy this weekend along with the shrimp cocktail
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Rockabilly714 noticed that you are a local OC guy. I live in Yorba Linda. Where do you hang your hat and wet your line?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Some fellas here in Ct have researched this useing scent while one doesn't. Some days the scent worked better and some it did worst than no scent. To me if it covers any adverse scent from your hands it's worth it. I still apply it every time.
[signature]