Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sundays Lump report
Sunday at the Lump …………………

Saturday found Gary and Mark driving in from Texas with a howling north wind pushing them along. They were headed to Belle Pass Marina for a good nights sleep before they were due to wake up and meet Pat and Michelle who would join them as two walk-ons. The weather Saturday had me worried that the following morning just was not going to be a good one to be on the Gulf.

Sunday morning broke to find that the wind had died and the seas had followed to the predicted 1 to 3 foot. We cruised to the lump at about 30 knots the whole way.

On the Lump we found cold dirty water on top but kept the hope. A few minutes after arriving we had a good knock down and settled in for the fight as the fish sounded. This was obviously a good fish as Gary was doing all he could just to hold on. The fish made a run toward the front of the boat and I prepared to drop the ball and give chase. About the time that I was going to toss the rope, the line broke and the fish was gone.

We settled in with the usual routine and the action was slow. We tried all the tricks of varying baits and rigs but this was going to be a day of patience. The first fish to hit the ice was a large AJ that hit in the chum and he was soon followed by a second smaller AJ. Then the blackfin decided to make a showing. With a couple of ‘em sharing room in the box with the AJs. Then finally the patience paid off with the reward of an 80 pound class yellowfin joining the party.
Gary landed the yellowfin, horsing him to the boat in no time at all. This fish hit the deck and threw the bait out of his gut onto the deck. The hook had never found it’s mark, talk about luck .........

We set the hook into three other fish that fought like they were yellowfin but we can only guess as they all evaded the gaff one way or another.

We stayed late into the afternoon, hoping that the bite would eventually turn on but it never happened on the Lump. Once all of the chum was gone, not yet satisfied with the load for the day, we set the spread and started pulling baits. We had three or four good knockdowns but none of the hooks stuck. The crew was ready to go but I talked them into a few more passes. I finally relented that we were making our last wrap when a 48 pound Wahoo made the mistake of swiping at the Stretch 30. Pat got him to the boat with some very good rod work and we called it a day at 4:00pm.

As I type this I realize that we really may be spoiled, we hit the dock with yellowfin, blackfin, amberjack, various snapper and a good Wahoo but yet I have to report that it was a slow day on the lump

If fishing the gulf is in your plans this year, give us a call. We are all crowing about the lump right now because that is what is hot. Anyone coming for the summer may want to start planning now. We have lodging coming back on line daily but some of the places are going to take a while, rooms may be limited for the summer. If the lump is your destination, give us a call, we have days open and with any luck we will have a second boat in service so we can double up on the busy days.

Don’t forget the mangroves, they are getting active around the close in rigs.

[size 4]
[center] [red] [size 4] [b]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 5]REEL SCREAMERS GUIDE SERVICE[/size][/font] [font "Times New Roman"][size 5]Fishing Inland and Offshore[/size][/font]
[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size] [font "Times New Roman"][size 5]Grand Isle / Fourchon, LA[/size][/font]
[email][font "Times New Roman"] reelscreamersft@aol.com[/font] [/email]
[font "Times New Roman"]225-937-6288[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font] [font "Times New Roman"][size 5]Dedicated to Fishing and Fun[/size][/font] [font "Times New Roman"][size 5]From the Single Angler to Corporate Groups[/size][/font]
[/size][/red][/center][/b][/size] [size 4][url "mailto:Frydbrains@earthlink.net"][/url][/size]
[signature]