Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading to Alaska for the first time
I live in Utah and in August I am heading to Doc Warners for a week. What tackel works well for that area that I can go to my local Cabelas and buy before I go.

Looking forward to visiting your great state and hope to catch a bid one.[Wink]
Are you going to go with Doc Warners Alaskan Fishing Adventures?

[url "http://www.docwarners.com/tips.htm"]If not you may want to at least read thier tip page[/url].

It doesn’t tell you what lures you will be using, it refers to cut baits and such, but they offer salt water fresh water and fly fishing adventures.

With out knowing what type of fishing you are planning on doing it would be hard to suggest to you what you should pack other than quality rods reels and line sinkers and trebles.

If you can elaborate a little more for us of what type of fishing you will be doing we can give you a better-specified tips.

Me personally I pack my box for every thing but the flying in thing makes weight limitations a bugger. So packing lead or steel sinkers might not be an option.

In either case I am a big fan of stopping in the local bait shop when I am fishing in the area, they will tell you what you need to know, they want you to catch a fish and come back or at the vary least tell some one else they put you on a fish. I also believe it is important to help the local economy by dropping a couple bucks in to it. It sure makes a difference of how you are treated when you visit. In addition fishing lures makes a great keepsake when thinking about your friends and family who were not able to make the trip with you.

[signature]
Thanks for the post Dave. Yes we are going with Doc Warners fishing adventures. I think they only offer cut bait and hooks.

We will be fishing for salman and halibet. No fly fishing....

I hear that the blue fox pixxie spoon is a hit with the silvers. I have no other idea on what to brind so any tips will be welcome.

I like your idea about supporting the local fishing shopes so Ill plan to bring plenty of money for tackel. Are you a local to Alaska?
[signature]
Hey smalls,
I just moved from Utah to Alaska this past summer. Congrats on making your first alaska trip. I'm going to assume you are getting a charter for the halibut. they will set you up with your gear and bait. I you are not using a guide for your salmon fishing, the best advice I can give is you have to know where the fish are. That sounds obvious, but you won't catch silvers, if they are not there, or you are in the wrong part of the stream. Get a good pair of polarized sunglasses they will help you see the fish. As fair as lures go, you can catch silvers on almost any spinner or roe(if it is legal to use in that area). My favorites are #3 or #4 vibrax spinners. There are a couple of different tiger colors (orange and black, yellow and black) they are my favorite colors. But honestly it all comes down to technique and be where the fish are. Have fun and take lots of pictures. Let me know if you need anything else.
[signature]
Thats funny carp punisher from the Utah board just told me to send you a PM. He said you loved it so much up there that you moved.

Any way we are going to be doing all are fishing in the Ocean. I hope we find the silver salmOn and Halibut. Ill try to find the spinners you said work well and get a few.

What is the weather going to be like in August? Thanks for the great tips[Wink]
August is the start of the rainy season, it might still be ok or it might rain every day you are here. Tell Carp punisher that he needs to make a trip up here this year!
[signature]
Hey rvanman2000 we were at the boat show in Salt lake and ran into the Doc Warner booth. We were able to talk to them about are trip. The good thing was they had us on ther list for August thats awsome. It makes it that much more real to see your name in black and wite. Any way the trip is still a long way off so I'm sure Ill have some more questions. Thanks for your help this far.
[signature]
I know this is an older post, BUT, I currently work for Doc Warners and have for the last 5 yrs....if you have any other questions or want more current info, message me! DeepFish
[signature]