Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smallies through the Ice!
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hit Pineview today with Petty, Tubedude, and road. The fishing wasn't stellar but we managed a few nice perch and crappie. Conditions were cold and everything thing was firm and no slush.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What was interesting was watching a group of guys hooking into the smallmouth bass. They must have had a school or two come thru and were hooking up on some very nice smallies. The largest I saw was 14" to 16" and the others weren't shrimps. What was surprising was there were relatively shallow for this time of year. [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
That is crazy about the smallies. That would be a nice addition to the ice challenge! Did you guys hit the same spot?
[signature]
Sounds like a moderated ice trip [Tongue] . I've been looking for smallies but don't tell Tomegun . One fish that is still on my list to hook thru the ice .
[signature]
Have the edges firmed up since we went?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]No problems with the edges, Mike. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey, Tomegun! Don't shoot the messenger.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, that was really COOL, fishing with you guys again. Frozen holes and ice in the guides all day. Glad you had your power auger. Watched that guy with the hand auger having to get down on his knees to finish a hole in the deep snow, frozen slush and ice combo. Musta been close to 24" of drillin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The bite was slow and light. Got to practice my "touch" skills. Made a lot of "practice hooksets" without making contact with the fish. Still ended up with enough bitty perch and crappies for some "Po man's shrimp".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got checked by DWR on the way out. They had been using binoculars up on the hill to watch anglers and were checking for two pole permits on everyone they saw fishing with more than one rod.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got some free entertainment when the paraskiers started playing on the ice. (see pic) I thought they might have been trolling a bit too fast, but what do I know? That's not my sport. Now, if I could hook one of those up to my tube (in soft water), I might be able to save on some kicking.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
By the guy on his knees, do you mean the guy with the dog?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I wasn't watching the group with the golden. Not sure if any of them was hand drillin'. I heard a power auger. Were you with them?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was referring to a non BFT member who was hanging out with our clan. He was crankin' a blue hand auger and it literaly brung him to his knees to get through all the crust, crud and ice.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
No, I was the guy with the ballistic Springer. We were hand augering and I might have gone to my knees once (clutching chest). From your pic of the kite guy I thought you may have walked past us. 3 guys walked by heading twords the dam and told us they were catching bass back twords the the mouth of the narrows.

We finally found the perch, all small but very willing and by the ton. When they came through it would blacken the screen from 40' to 26' and you could catch fish anywhere in the zone.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We were some of the first ones on the ice. The guys with the golden came in after we got there and were still there when road and I left. I think you guys were headed back toward the mouth of the narrows about the time we headed up the hill.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is encouraging to see the hordes of young perch after a good spawn the last couple of years. That means good times again for everybody.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was also good to see all the crappies. Like the perch, they suffer when the water is low. They also need vegetation to get the best spawn. In another couple of years it will be candyland.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Sounds like in a couple of years it's going to be good ol times once again at the pine![/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]