Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get deep fast
My question on the Utah board has grown and now looking for more help and ideas on how to get a fly deep. Right now I have floating 6 wt line and fish small streams and small lakes but am looking to start fishing from a float tube in a large lake and need to get down 20 to 50 ft. Fast sinking line or depth charger line has been suggested but as I have only one real and rod it isn't easy to just change on the lake. I have been looking around and found some poly leaders at Cabela's that are 5ft and make your lines sink. Wondered if anyone had tried them and how well they worked. Good enough for a novice or do I just need to suck it up and get new line. The idea of not having to change lines is nice plus I could take it off and fish shallow if I wanted. Thanks.
[signature]
from my experiance,a sink tip with a floating line most likely not get that far down.i would get a fast sink line and try to get another spool for your reel.changing spools is easier than reels.
[signature]
It's me again, I am with tomc, the heads are more for rivers. I have put one on my type II before (to lazy to change lines) and it worked good. I think that you are going to have to bite the bullet and get another reel or spool. I will say (and I can't believe I am saying this, being somewhat a purist) look at the less expensive combo's. On still water with sinking line casting is not that big of an issue, so a cheeper rod would work (you will want to get rid of the cheep floating line on the combo however and replace it with maybe a Type II and your sinking heads) Type II is a good all around sinking line, in that you can cover all zones by just waiting or stripping faster on your retrieves.
[signature]
Well I am going to go out on a limb [sure to get some people upset] and suggest a split shot or two on the floating section of your line. I assume [bad thing to do] that you will be trolling in your tube so casting would be out of the question as it would get your line in in all kinds of trouble. I am only suggesting this if buying any additional equipment including a proper line as suggested would be a financial burden at this time. I personally have never resorted to this practice but when all else fails PUNT.  
[signature]
So much for the cheap way I guess. Looks like I'm just going to have to get some new line and change it on my reel before I go. Do to health problems I do end up just kind of slow trolling or drifting in my tube so the sinkers would work most of the time but would like to learn to do things the right way. The sinkers wouldn't be the most unconventional thing I've tried in my tube I hate to say. My wife thought the tube would be the expensive item but boy was she wrong. Got it on sale and everything else I get into costs me money. Still cheaper then the gym and I like it a lot more. Thanks for the help on both boards flygoddess.
[signature]
I tried to keep my mouth shut, but I cringed at the fact that your going to make things harder on yourself. From what it sounds like you want floating line for when the fish are rising at your faviorite lake and a sinking like when no surface action is happening.

Here's the deal. I say save up and get a extra spool for you reel. Or if your not going to be using one or the other very much, just get yourself a inexpencsive little reel. You'll be saving you self a ton of hassel and your'll have a lot more fun.
[signature]
Well the debate is over and my loving wife came up with some cash to go with some birthday money I had. She's great! Picked up a new Okuma reel tonight with a extra spool so I can carry two lines and change if needed. Had some type 3 fast sink line put on so now all I need is the ice to melt and I'm ready to make a fool of myself again with a flyrod. Not the fastest sinking line but went with something a little more versatile hopefully. Thanks again for everyone's 2 cents.
[signature]
Perfect place to start. Type III is very versital. In the Summer when it gets a little warmer, try counting down. When you start to get into fish remember how long you let it sink. Also, you can fish the shallower shore lines and just strip a little faster. You are going to love it and need any question asked we are all here for you big guy. Happy Birthday-Valentines. Wahoo!
[signature]
Sounds like you got a great wife there. Glad to here you went with a two spool set up.
[signature]
Hey there tlspyder13 obviously you were asking the wrong people about your dilemma.lol. It is great to have an understanding spouse. Now it is your turn to do something nice for her. Good luck with your new equipment.