Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any opinions on Glock pistols
I've been looking for a Pistol and I'm still decideing on a 9MM or a 40 but I've done some research on glocks and so far I like everything I've read except for the safety. Any opinions?
[signature]
A few years back when I was researching pistols, I narrowed it down to 2. The Glock 19 and the Springfield XD9. I ultimately bought the Springfield and I love it. Its got an extra saftey feature that the Glock doesn't have, plus its made in the United States. i believe the Springfield was about $100 less expensive too.
[signature]
The only real thing I dont like about the glock is the polymer frame gives it more recoil and "jumpyness" than any other metal frame. Overall it is a good gun and fun to shoot. I would hit up a used gun shop that lets you shoot them, something like dougs shootin or others. They will have many glocks to test shoot. My personal favorite is the sig-saur or h&k.
[signature]
Windknot, I love my Glock! Being in Law Enforcement I carrry it every day with confidence. I have the model 23 40 cal. I have had many other pistols including S&W, Ruger, and Berreta but they do not stack up to the Glock in my opinion. Our department issues Berreta but I have had problems with misfeeds and stovepipes. I did not feel that I could trust my life to that pistols reliability.

The Glock is simple, reliable and acurate. Works every time, light weight and accurate. End of story

P.S. Get the 40 cal you never want to find yourself in a life threatening or defending situation unless you have a caliber that starts with a "4".
[signature]
Guns are like trucks everyone is either a Ford, Dodge, or Chevy man. I really like SIG SAUER but they are on the higher side on price but out of the box they will outshoot all others I have handled. There is a reason why the Navy SEALS and Secret Service carries them. I think it depends on what you want if for. If you want some thing that is fun to shoot and not to bad on the wallet by something in a 9-mm. The recoil is easy on your hand and the ammo is fairly cheap, it has all the stopping power you would need. If you want it for home defense, I would go with either a 40 of 45 with some nasty type hollow points. I do believe bigger is some times better. Any gun that fits your hand and is easy to use, you will enjoy more and be confident with it. I have shot and owned a lot of guns over the years. Do not worry too much on or about an external safety the Glock is a proven weapon and is as safe as any other weapon. Glocks are some times referred to as combat Tupperware.
[signature]
[Wink] Well here is my two cents worth. I like Ewetah am in Law enforcement and have been for 20 years. I also carry a Glock .40 model 22 and have the baby glock in .40 for an off duty gun. I love these guns. I have had an oppurtunity to shoot many diffrent hand guns over the years and for the price you cant beat it. I would not have any other. The next closest gun I would have would be a Kimber in the .40 However kimber is much more expensive. The glock is easy to take down and clean and easy to take care of.

IF you dont hold the glock correctly, you can have a problem with it stove pipeing on you. If you have a small hand this is common. If you have a large hand, This is not a problem. Makeing sure that you have a good solid grip on the frame just below the slide will insure that you have little to no problems with Stove pipe. Go with the Glock, you will not be sorry. Glock is carried by more law enforcement agencies nationwide than any other firearm. That in itself tells me what gun is trusted day in and day out by those of us that depend on it for our lives!
[signature]
I apprieciate all the help. I think I will go with the Glock. If its carried by so many I figure the safety issue must be very minimal.
Thanks again
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Well here is my 2 cents worth on this subject. I am not in LE, but I have fired and used both the Glock Model 22 and 23 in 40 caliber. Personally I like them both, the weight, the balance. I am going to have one soon.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]If you go with a 9mm you should look into getting the 19C. My buddy had one and it was fun as hell to shoot...didn't have any kick to it whatsoever.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I don't think you can go wrong with the Glock. But go and shoot it before you buy and while you are there also shoot the Springfield XD40. But go with the 40 cal. I had my mind set on the glock and went to shoot it at the range in Pleasant Grove and the guy also talked me into shooting the XD40. After shooting both I plan to buy the XD40. I liked the extra safety features, it felt better in my hand, pointed true on draw (the angle of the glock handle seemed to always make the barrel be a little high when I pulled it up), and from everything I have read and the people I have talked to it is every bit as reliable as the glock. And about a hundred bucks cheeper. Try them both before you buy and then "chose your weapon".
[signature]
[size 2]Hello,
Lots of great advise on this thread. I also have a glock (model 21) and am very happy with it. I personally prefer 45's but also like the 40's.

Years ago I had a Colt Double Eagle and couldn't have been happier with it (wish now I had never sold it). Although to avoid sporadic jamming I had to have it ramped, throated and polished. That solved the problem and it proved to be a great gun.

When I was looking at hand guns sometime later I was going to buy another Colt but shot a friends glock forty and loved it. The safety seems like it would effect shooting but it doesn't. The gun has never had any jamming problems and probably is one of my favorite hand guns I have ever owned.

The weight distribution takes a little getting used to (compared to standard 45 acp's) but doesn't take long and is a great shooting gun once you start shooting it.

Someone mentioned the Sig's and they are some great hand guns but last I looked the Glocks were so much cheaper and are comparable.

Good luck, I think the Glock is a great chioce.[/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
I've been hearing alot of good feedback on the XD's a friend of a friend just bought the XD-90, he is going to let me try it out Wednesday. I'll let you know what I end up with.
P.S. See I get some toys once in a while[Smile]
[signature]
I will also put my stamp of approval on Glock. All of the instructors in my accademy class (I was a LEO for a short time about 6yrs ago) would say "thousands of gangbangers around the united states can't be wrong".
If you google "glock torture test" it will give you a link to a post on www.ar-15.com where a guy runs over one with a truck, soaks it in saltwater, shoots it with a .22, and drops it out of an airplane! and it still goes BANG.
I had one that (a 19)I bought from a guy in my class and I could shoot pretty good with it but it was a little small for my hands and I found I never shot it (after I got out of LE) so I sold it, the stupidest thing I've done in a long time, I wish I had it back.
[signature]
[cool]Yeah. The Glock is a plastic gun. Stay away from it. Personally, I like my Kimber .45
[signature]