Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planer boards
I would like to try to build my own planer boards this year. We seen a guy on Willard last year that had some home made ones that seem to work great. He might be on this message board I don't know.

Anyway if any one has made or knows how to make their own planer boards I'd like to know........THANKS........
[signature]
I've got home made planer boards. I made them from a redwood board about 3/4" x 6" and about 18" and 24" long. I fastened them together with brackets made from aluminum strap. I use them at Willard so maybe the person you saw was me?? If you want more details just ask.
[signature]
I bet it was you we seen. We fished Wilard a lot last year and we saw you twice and no body else had home made boards. From what we could see they worked great for you. I'm really interested in making my own so any help or pictures you could give will be helpful. If you could send me a PM that would be great....thanks.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I've got a set of prints, complete with bill of materials for full size dual planer boards at work. I'll post them up for anyone who wants them. There are also a lot of websites that have plans to build them also.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3](edit) Here's one of many plans for dual boards:[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[url "http://www.quintefishing.com/make_your_own_dual_planer_boards.htm"]http://www.quintefishing.com/make_your_own_dual_planer_boards.htm[/url]
[signature]
[red][size 3]How about sending me a C.C. of your homemade planer board plans? I messed with the idea a little but my engineering skills fade quickly after going beyond cardboard and crayon. Many Thanx![/size][/red]
[signature]
Thanks BearLakeMack. I copied the directions from the sit you gave me. That was just what I was looking for.[Wink]
[signature]
Here are photos of my boards and my mast for any one interested.
Also some plans which I picked up somewhere and loosely copied.
[signature]
[red][size 3]So you made your mast also? Did you make those mast reels? Dang nice job. I basically did the same thing with a length of chain link fence pole that hooks into the bow seat post. I have one of those little C-clamp downriggers that I tried clamping onto it and used that. The wire cable is a little heavy but it was something I already had lying around the boat. I've been looking around some for something cheap I could use for a pair of spools. I should have married a rich wife.... [/size][/red]
[signature]
Nice pictures Kd, thanks for sharing, you really thought this out. I have the same question as NOS, did you make the mast reels or buy them some where?
[signature]
I made the reels from aluminum I got from IPACO. The mast is a chain link fence post. The reels could be made from wood or plastic if you have a band saw and a drill press. I did mine on a lathe, which made it easier.

Those small clamp on downriggers would work great if you replaced the wire cable with regular line. Could probably pick up some used ones pretty cheap!

Even a home made cleat like on a flag pole would work to wrap the line on. If you made the ears a foot apart or even 2 feet apart, it would be easy to know how much line you have out by counting as you unwrap it.
[signature]
I work at a machine shop so I have access to aluminum and a lathe. My question. Is that felt that you used to put a drag system on your reels? By the way nice job very professional.
[signature]
Sweeeeet set up. I had thought of making some for my small boat but I think I may make some outriggers from my favorite redneck material....PVC baby.

My friends love my PVC creations.
[signature]
Its not felt. Its that craft foam stuff the ladies make stuff out of.
Felt would probably work though. Its purpose is to make the back plate grip the reel like a brake pad when the wing nut is tightened up.
[signature]
Thanks for the info, how much money do you have tied up in material? WH2
[signature]
If its not to much to ask do you have any more pictures or could you take more pictures of your reel setup. I'd like to try my hand at making a set. What did you use for the hand crank?
[signature]
[red][size 3]We're not going to let you go just yet on this one. On most of the professional masts I have seen they have a spring or shock cord built into the top pulley to take up wave shock and such in the board and line. It looks like your pulleys are pretty secure to the eye bolts. Is it that big of a deal or do yours work OK for you that way? I was thinking of just getting a big bungee cord to thread through the top bolt holes and putting the pulleys on each end of that but if you are satisfied with yours I'll just put in some eye bolts as well. Again, Thanx.[/size][/red]
[signature]
NOS
I haven't thought about bungee cords on my pulleys so I guess I don't need them. I do know that an outfit called Amish Outfitters http://www.amishoutfitters.com/ sells a bungee cord for their planer boards so there must be a reason for them. I do have problems with the pulleys in that the line comes off the wheel and gets down between the wheel and the frame. I plan to get better pulleys at a sail boat shop someday but of course they are a lot more expensive.

wh2
I don't remember how much I spent on materials. I don't think its over $50 for the whole setup, mast and boards.

smalls
The hand crank is a nylon spacer bought at Lowes. Its on a bolt that is threaded into the flange of the reel with a nut jammed against the outside of the flange to hold it. I don't have any more pictures right now but maybe I could take some. If you want to call me on the phone I'd be happy to describe everything or answer any questions. PM me for the phone number.
[signature]
Hey those are good plans for us do-it-ourselfers, Thanks for sharing them guys. Think I'll have to try and work up a set or two..

One question tho', how well do they work as far as supporting a 10 ball while draggin' for Doo'ers?
[Wink]
[signature]
Thanks KD I'll send you a PM. Here is a couple pictures of the planer board I threw together a couple of days ago. I still have to go get the wood and ill be set. The threaded rod is sold at Lowes and is all ready cut to 12". All the rods, nuts, washers, and the eye bolt cost $9 and a 1x6x10' board cost 8 $ if you go with pine. I all ready tried the board out in the nearby canal. The water was going down at 2 or 3 mph. The board worked great. I can't wait to try it behind the boat.

Thanks to all who have given plans and advice.
[signature]
all of this talk about planer boards has me wanting to give it a shot. is a dual board a lot better than one of those flat boards? whats the difference? i found a plan for building one of the smaller ones and thought it would take up a lot less room in my boat. which is better, and why? here is the link to the other one. [url "http://lithosjigs.com/planerplans.html"]http://lithosjigs.com/planerplans.html[/url]

would that work for a guy who only wants to send out a board once in a while? i was thinking i could run it up next to shore while trolling with my downriggers in deeper water. that way i could get some of the fish cruising the shoreline too? any advise on the matter? thanks guys.
[signature]