Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's on your rod?
Based on your personal experiance, who makes the stongest, smoothest, most reliable reel on the market. I know myself, i've used many reels from every manufacturer that has ever existed. And I don't pussy-foot around with them either, I really lay down the mustard on them. Penn has always made a very strong outfit, even the cheaper models are reliable, they're just not as smooth as some other brands. Over-all, i'd say Abu Garcia makes about the best product on the market, and has been since the first Abu was created. They are smooth and consistent. I've always believed that all reels are high quality, and if taken care of, will last generations. However, all reels are not created equal, and I believe that Abu Garcia is leading the pack.
[signature]
It is kind of a toss up. I do have a few AmbasSadeurs from Abu Garcia. I like them most for the lighter fishing.

Longest casting would have to be the Newells. I have a few of those in the 200, 300 and 400 series. They all cast far but strength is not their high point.

Jigs and Irons are launced from my Saltists, Toriums and Saltigas. They are great for that.

I have several Penns. 155s, 209s, 9Ms, 500s, 501s, 506(high speed), 320 and 330, 4/0s and 6/0s.
All different sizes and all different uses.

My goto reels that will accompany my on just about every boat ride would have to be my Avets. I have the SX, LX, JX and the MJX 2speed. They cast well. Are good for irons, flylining and vertical jigging.[cool]
[signature]
I have two Penn 500's that have lasted me now 30 years. I bought them new at the time. Take care of them and they will last decades. Three down, how many more?
[signature]
Those older penn reels really last. I have two of the older 500s that used to belong to my Dad when he was a kid. I still use them for certain types of fishing.[cool]
[signature]
Hi there,

My vote goes for the reel that has been hardened. Open up all these fancy smancy, solid one-piece machined aluminum frame beauties and what do you see but nylon gears, stamped metal levers and springs and washers that can rust, pit or whatever.

Abu Garcia AmbasSadaurs are the easiest to maintain and learn to dis-assemble completely to refurbish but they sure don't hold up in saltware well! Can't harden them either. The Calcutta 400's are not at all resistant to saltwater either!

Best reels I've ever used were the 80's Shimano TLD's. People try to buy them off me every time I take them on the boat .... and I watch them carefully!

JapanRon
[signature]
I've had nothing but good service out of my Abu Garcia's in saltwater, which is what I mostly use them for. Asside from catfish in freshwater, I use them for Sheepshead, flounder, trout, king mackeral, shark, and anything else that I don't need 300 yards of line to catch. I've caught smoker King's up wards in the 45 pound class on Abu 7000's. I only tear down my reels once a year, and I sometimes re-spool them two or three times, depending on the work load. One thing you may try is using vasaline instead of regular reel lube, that stuff is awesome, and while it keeps things moving smoothly, it's repelling the saltwater. I also give my reels a shot of WD-40 after I rinse the saltwater off of them. I use the same Abu's that I've had for years, with no problems, and i've never replaced a single part. Infact, I have the old booger green faced 5000 they made probably 20 years ago that's squared off like the 7000's instead of rounded like the new 5000's are. It's still kicking, not a part replaced. Infact, I just caught a 3 foot sand shark on it just the other day.
[signature]