Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginning Fisherman
Hi All, my son has lately become interested in fishing. Since I haven't fished since I was a kid, I was wondering what is the best tackle and bait to get him to start off?
[signature]
where in Alabama are you fishing? And welcome to the board.
[signature]
you may want to try out this web site, it is not a forum, it will how ever put you on a fishing derby near your home just by supplying a zip code and no other information.

[url "http://www.kids-fishing.com/"]http://www.kids-fishing.com/[/url]

we would love to hear all about your fishing tails... good not so good and indifferent..

good luck and be sure to let us know how you do....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey now, you asked a pretty simple question, but there are a lot of things you didn't mention that might make a big difference in what we could recommend to you. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. How old is your son and is he basically coordinated enough to handle most fishing gear? Some kids are too young for anything but a cane pole, but others may be capable of operating the most finicky reels on the market.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. What kind of fishing will you be doing? There is a lot of difference between drowning worms for sunfish and casting crankbaits for tricky bass. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you just want to get your son started and then see whether he gets serious or not, there is no need to spend a lot of money on fancy gear. However, the better quality you can afford, the better the performance of the tackle and the less frustration there will be with fighting poor tackle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most Walmarts and other discount stores that have fishing sections will have ready made combos of rod and reel that are usually well balanced. Some are already set up with line. You can get a serviceable setup for $30 to $50...sometimes less. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The question is what kind of rod and reel would be best. Many new anglers get started with "spin cast" tackle. These are the push button reels that you hold down with your thumb until you are ready to let the line go on the cast. They are quick to learn and will catch fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If your son already knows how to use a spinning reel, then he would probably get more long term use from one of those. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You should check around to see if there are any kids programs in your area. Many cities and states have youth fishing programs where kids can get instruction on how to tie knots, cast their lines and even catch fish. That will take a lot of pressure off Mom, and will help your son learn without having to deal with a parent.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come on back and give us some more details and we can better suggest something that everybody can live with. Oh yeah, what is the budget?[/#0000ff]
[signature]