Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military surplus rifles
Hello all! I am looking into purchasing a military surplus rifle and I'm looking for a little guidance or suggestions. I would like to secure a piece of history, but at the same time I plan on plinking with it and occasionally go deer hunting with it. I've done some research and have it narrowed down to a few choices:

German Mauser 98k or Mauser of somesort - 1st choice
Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 - 2nd choice
Swiss k31 - 3rd choice due to ammo being not be readily avail.

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles or military surplus rifles in general? Besides Big 5 and the gun shows, does anywhere around the SL valley carry military surplus rifles?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

midge
Why not try an M 1 Gerand ? It is a piece of history. Ammunition {30-06) is readily available and inexpensive for plinking. They have excelent accuracy for iron sights. I have not checked in recent years but I have heard that they are still on sale to the public with a little paperwork from the Rocky Mountain Arsonal in Denver. I am sure they have a web site.
[signature]
Thanks for the input. I'll have to check out Rocky Mtn. arsonal. Gallensons in SL has a few M1's for about $500, but thats why out of my price range. I ended up buying a Yugo M48. Thanks again for your suggestions!
Impact Arms in Ogden has them listed on thier website. Last I checked they had 91/30's listed (in stock)for about $60.
Go to thier website, they have a list of all the surplus rifles they carry, and they just post "out of stock" or "in stock" on them (they post that so people with C&R FFL Permits can order from them), I have not been up there so you may want to call first to check status on "in stock".

I just bought an SKS, it is not as big of a casing as a Mosin/Nagant, but ammo is cheap, and it is low recoil. It is a lot of fun to shoot.
[signature]