Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7mm rem mag ammo?
I know a lot of you are reloaders but I am not set up to do that yet. So I am wondering if any of you have found a good high quality off the shelf ammo for the 7mm rem mag that you have tried and really like. Thanks!
[signature]
I usually like to buy the CCI Blazers. They are made with aluminum shells and usually run a couple bucks less per box.[cool]
[signature]
I'd stick to the higher end factory loads from Win or Rem, or even Hornady. I think you'd be fine with any load, but the premium bullets are pretty sweet.
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Hi Bigcat, Stay away from the remington rounds. I have a 7MM magnum and use it every year for Elk hunting, a few years ago I bought a box of Remington rounds and ended up with mostly miss fires. Don't if this was just a fluke or what, but will never buy another box of Remington Bullets. [/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3] I have been using either Federal or Winchester rounds and have not have a problem since. This just my Opinion.[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Let your gun tell you what it likes. Buy a box of each of the premium manufactured bullets you are considering. Go to the range and shoot a few 5 shot groups. Your gun will usually like one round over the others. Stick with that. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The nice thing about the premium factory rounds is their consistence and availability without the hassle of reloading or buying all the reloading equipment. Most guys can't tell the difference between custom hand loads and factory loads because, and its the truth, the bullets shoot better than most shooters.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I've already sent you most of this, but I'll post here for all:

Stay away from Core-lokts. They are a piece of crap. Remington should be ashamed of them. OK, now that's out of the way.... LOL...

You know i'm a die hard reloader, so I'm not the best for over the counter loads. I am a huge 7mm guy though. I really like the premium bonded bullets out there right now. My family (makes up about 10 hunters LOL) has been shooting my custom loads for years and recently we all moved to Nosler Accubonds and Hornady Interbonds. It might be hard to find one over the counter, but they are great bullets IMO. Especially on elk, the AB's are a dream bullet. Wonderful mushrooms, penetrate deep and are usually sitting on the side in the hide waiting for you like they should be. [Tongue]

My best advice about ammo is this. How many people you know pay $1000 for the gun/scope, $100's of dollars in tag, $1000's on gas, time of work, supplies, binos, clothes, boots, the works... then run to the nearest sale to save $5 on AMMO!!! Or buy whatever grain is availabe in the bargain box. Holy COW! Spend the extra money for the premium bullets and enjoy the results they will give you.

Finally, if you can, stick with 1 load/grain of bullet. Shoot that lights out of that one bullet and grains and you will become a more confident shooter. You will know your gun, the load, the works.

My personal favorite for the 7mm:
160 gr Nosler Accubond
[signature]
Thank you all for your advice. Since I have a cabelas gift card I looked in their catalog and found two brands that look promising. The Federal premium vital shock with a 160 grain nosler accubond bullet and the Winchester Supreme accubond in 160 grain. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? They are $26 and $29 per box. I thought I would get a box of each and see how they pattern.
[signature]
My .338 win mag loves the Federal premium loads with a 225gr. trophy bonded bullet. I've been impressed over and over again with performance these slugs deliver. Now just make sure your gun likes them too.
[signature]
That thing always seamed to like the Federal Premium,thats what I shot. Stay away from the PMC (great for plinking around but not for accuracy). And always remember the Christmas Story [pirate]

[sly][sly]
[signature]