Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new reel and other news
So I bought a new reel, and I'm trying it out tomorrow. I ended up getting an Okuma Magnitude Large Arbor. I like the design and the feel of the powder finish. Plus the disc drag system seems to work nice. The guy at the shop wasn't any help and didn't know much about it. But it sure is light, that magnesium is some nice stuff. It should balance nice with my Redingtonrod. Any word on reviews of this reel? it was on sale for $70, so I jumped on it and the guy at Sports authority said they have a 30 day, no questions asked policy (no questions until I return it broken right?[img]../../images/gforum/Wink.gif[/img]) I'll let you all know how it performs tomorrow.

The other news, I convinced my wife to try out fly fishing. We went out to the park the other day and I showed her how to cast and such. She picked it up super fast, she's smart like that. Then last weekend we went out to the San Joaquin river near here and got the line wet. She did alright, didn't catch anything but niether did I. I was showing her how to nymph with an indicator. At first the indidcator was set to high and she kept getting hung up on the bottom. At one point she got snagged and I thought she hooked one. I got really excited for her, for a second, and started yelling excitedly "LIFT THE ROD TIP, SET THE HOOK!!!" But alas, just a rock on the bottom.

I'm pretty excited about tomorrow. We are heading out on the King's River. They started this new "trophy trout" program that's kind of experimental at this point. Apparently they had held over about 3,000 planter 'bows until they were in the 4# to 8# class and are now in the process of releasing them into the river (this is in addition to the how ever many thousands of planter size they normally release). I have heard great things so far. In the area where they released them it's mostly ff only with barbless hooks, and catch and release of course. I think they are wanting to see if they can get a natural breeding program started. And the best thing, it's less than an hour's drive from my house. SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!! Hopefully I'll have pics to post tomorrow night.

Wish me luck.
[signature]
[Smile]Good Luck and Tight Lines!
[signature]
I think that I would have still gone with the Battenkill. With that reel on sale, they might be discontinuing it and it might be hard to get spools. The low end reels aren't around for very long (or so it seems) but, hopefully I am wrong on this.
Good luck and looking forward to hear how you do. We just got a foot of fresh snow last night so, it will be a couple of days before I can get back up to the mountains. I am so jealous right now.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hi there Discman - sounds like you are all set to do some serious fly-swatting. Nice that your bride is also interested in fly-fishing. If you don't watch out she might be teaching you a thing or two. Good luck![/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
FG, nice new avatar. I was worried about getting additional spools as well but I went online last night and found them for $30. And new snow? I don't even know what snow is like [Smile], Fresno's pretty low in elevation and very mild in temps. My tomatos from last season didn't even die off this winter. Although it's been a little cold here the past few days, February is usually shorts and t-shirt weather.

Today's fishing venture was a bust. But Rhiannon (my wife) did a good job with casting. She got hung up a few times and whipped a couple of nyphs off the tippet but she is really coming along. I told her at one point I was going to stick a paint stirrer in her sleeve so would stop breaking her wrist on the back cast. I swear though, she can already cast way better than I could when I had been ff as long. I just hope she sticks to it. Does anyone have any tips for teaching someone? Also, what would be a good way to keep someone interested long enough to get good? Should I show her "roll-casting" and such or let her get used to "over-head" before moving on?

One last thing. I caught some guy bait fishing at the place we went today (remember, FF only, barbless hooks, 0 limit, etc.). He said he didn't know about the regulations even thought there are signs posted everywhere. He had already killed two lunkers, both in the 6# range. They were nice looking though. Once I told him that DFG is in full force around there now (because of the new regs.) he high tailed it. I guess the threat of a hefty fine will do that. I'll give him the benifit of the doubt, but I still hate it when I catch people doing things like that.

I'm trying to convince her to go tomorrow, it being a day off and all, to a different spot. We'll see how we do there.

Thanks all for the support and such,
Kyle
[signature]
Discman, That is great on the extra spools, that would be my only worry. I mean a LA for $70 is great!
Hey and about Rhiannon picking up on the ff, don't be too surprised, even Lefty Kreh says that women are more naturals. I know my husband taught me and the student has surpassed the teacher.[Wink]
As far as the roll casting, if you are in a place that requires it, then by all means show her. You want to keep her interested you got to get her into fish. She starts catching fish and she will be hooked (no pun intended)
About breaking the wrist, try having her hold the rod with her pointing fingure extended on the top of the rod, you can't break your wrist in that possition. Basically you are pointing were you want your fly to go. Keep up the good work and let us know how it is going.
Also, good deal on the reel---really[sly]
[signature]