Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Cliff Report 2/22/06
[cool][#0000ff]Hit light snow from Park City to Jordanelle. Turned heavier at the lake. Coming down good, with about 4" of new powder on the ice when TubeBabe and I met up with Slayerace and Jedburton about 9 AM. Kept snowing lightly until about noon. Then the sun came out and fried everybody's faces.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Much slower bite yesterday than the week before. Fewer fish on the sonar. Moved several times and finally found a few willing biters in 56 feet. Mostly small to medium sized perch, with a few rainbows to 14". No browns.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The two most exciting battles of the day were BIG chubs. Slayerace and TubeBabe scored those big uglies. (see pics).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Jedburton should have gone to work. He spent all day on the cell phone...either business or wifey. In the one pic he can be clearly seen with the phone to his ear, with a pile of perch between him and Slayerace. TubeBabe stays focused in the background.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We all brought home enough fish for a meal or two, but 'tweren't nearly as fast as last trip. Talked to folks from a couple of other groups on the ice and found that they had not been doing well in shallower water. They all moved around a lot from 20 feet to over 40 feet, where they had found fish last week. They had only a few small perch and were not finding trout on their sonar or on their lines.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We used a variety of small jigs, and some new "firetiger" color perch urchins and baitbugs I was trying. My new stuff worked, as did most of the other stuff we tried, when the fish were in and cooperating. Wax worms were the best bait, with perch eyes and perch meat strips also producing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After a long hike off the ice, TubeBabe and I stopped at the overlook and along the highway to shoot some pics of current ice conditions on Jordanelle. The lake is almost completely capped, with a couple of spots of open water between Hailstone and the Rock Cliff arm opening. The newer ice looks scary. It looks like a big jigsaw puzzle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for the ride out on the ice Randy. It was a 25 minute hike back, after you guys left. We needed the exercise, but WHEW! Good to fish with you again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Pat, at least you guys got out to fish! Doesn't sound like a total waste of time...especially for someone aching for a dip in the donut! Thanks for the update. I hope the ace dispatched that chub properly![Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]After having its gills ripped out, and being stomped into bloody mush, it was released unharmed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It can be safely assumed that Randy has learned two things. One, to properly dispatch all minnows before taking them home. Two, to not post any info on this site that might tend to incriminate him.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I plan to hit Hailstone on Friday and then I shall putteth away mine auger and takety up mine tube for the next few months. It has been fun, but as you know, I get my enjoys more on open water than the frozen stuff.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks for the report Pat.

I to am looking forward to open water and open season on the wipers and walleyes[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bring on the soft water. It will save me a fortune in meds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When are we going to do some R&D in your new ride?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
soon my friend. SOON!!![Wink]
[signature]