Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle gathering 2/26/06
[cool][#0000ff]There was a strong BFT showing in the congregation of the Hailstone chapel of the Church of the Seventh Day Angler. But, there was more praying than fishing being done. The fish were just not as playful today.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pikeman and Da Bomb were just ahead of TubeBabe and I, as the first in the parking lot. They loaded up their wheeler and sled and headed for a pew far far away. We opted to return to the area we had been so blessed on Friday. Unfortunately, the fish had moved out. We only saw a few fish on sonar and fewer on our lines. The ones we did bring in were all smaller than our "throwbacks" of Friday.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BFT member road showed up mid morning, after attending to home duties. Around noon Geezer came out on his snowmobile, with a couple of other folks, including a young lad. They set up camp, and we heard loud whoops from the boy as he scored a couple of perch. I heard from Geezer that the kid was enjoying watching the fish on the underwater camera more than fishing for them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sometime around two, as we were contemplating leaving the ice to the freshening cool breeze, Bigpapafish and his young boy Nathan came up and introduced themselves all around. Good to meet so many new faces. They headed east down the shore and we do not know how they did.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I managed to bring up over 30 perch, all small, and 4 rainbows. Kept two. TubeBabe caught quite a few small perch. We both landed huge chubs. Pikeman reported that his team also beat up on some huge chubs in the area they first fished.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We were going to leave by 2:30. At 2:29 TubeBabe's little ice stick bent double and she got busy. After a touch and go battle she iced a nice 20 inch brown. Got it on a new perch pattern roadrunner I had made the night before. It gave her top rod honors for the day....AGAIN.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since Friday a big pressure ridge has opened up across the north end of the lake, east to west, beginning at the end of the long point to the northwest of the ramp. Might be careful if you run your machines out there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PWC ramp is still iced up. Stayed cool and a tad breezy today, but there is a big open spot out by the island now. Won't be long with the warm temps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was feeling very Sad that fishing had been so slow after having such a stellar day on Friday ... but at 2:30 that all changed! I was very surprised to see my catch when it got up to the hole. When I told TubeDude what it was he ran back to his chair to get a pair of lip gripers to be sure we got it out of the hole (he lost several on Friday). I was so excited, I pulled it right up on the ice ... there was no way he was getting away! We got a late start, but I can't think of a better way to end my ice fishing for the year (unless it would have been catching a limit like him).
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Nice looking fish TubeBabe! Looks like it wasn't like Friday, but at least you were out and not sitting at work. Did I forget to mention I hate working![/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Very nice fish.
We were watching your group on the camera. We just didn't realize who it was.
We recognized the orange box near Geezer's Hilton.
It was tough being at work, knowing people were out ice fishing[Sad] .
[signature]
Still under the weather today so I didn't make it out like I wanted but I seen most of you on the camera . Nice brown Tubebabe . I caught most of my browns on slower days in that lake . I've seen perch on days just look at my stuff and go back down but I think they might be intimidated by the predator fish cruising thru . Actually most of my luck is right by the boat ramp and most people walk right by it . But I always done better if I was alone too . It is a nice place because of nice restrooms close by and I still have yet to get my wife out on the ice . It is nice to have the water high compared to last year it was a hike up the ramp . Well march is almost here , I may have to get the tube or boat out soon .
[signature]
very nice report t-babe, how thick was the ice?
[signature]
[cool]Nice brown, TubeBabe! Looks like you took big fish honors as usual. I'm looking forward to chasing the big cats with you and Pat soon (not to mention the toothy critters).
[signature]
Sounds like a fun trip, even if the fish weren't quite as cooperative today. Congrats to TubeBabe on the nice GB...I've never caught one through the ice...yet!
[signature]
Sounds like a fun day on the ice and thanks for the update on the PWC ramp. Keep it up, can't wait for open water.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don't think the ice thickness is decreasing much in the warmer temps. It is still getting cold enough at night to refreeze the slush and the drilled holes. It was about 19 degrees when we hit the ice at 7 AM and warmed up to 49 when we left at 4.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is still a solid 6" to 8" of lake ice, under about 3" of frozen slush. The last snow covering is melting/slushing fast and the surface will probably be slick in the mornings soon, unless the Tuesday storm adds some more white stuff.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The ice was grumbling and groaning a lot yesterday and there were lots of small cracks developing. As I mentioned, there is a big pressure ridge across the north end now, and maybe more on the way. The edges are still solid. No need for planking yet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hope you shake that cold soon. TubeBabe and I shared one in January that took us about three weeks to get rid of. Worst colds we have ever had.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I share your theory on the perch being intimidated by the predators. On Friday, I lost two browns at the hole. The fast fishing shut down for several minutes after each one. Yesterday I had a HUGE fish on for just a few head shakes before it came unbuttoned. Same thing...no bites for a half hour afterward. After TubeBabe iced her brown yesterday, it died again. No bites for the next hour. We left. She was smiling.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know you like the docks area. I have seen some of your pics. If you have been watching on Candid Camera you know that there has been quite a bit of activity close to the ramp, but I think your favorite spots have been largely ignored.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Shoot me a PM when you are back among the living and we can hook up.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude,
Thanks for the pictures they are awesome. A big Congrats to Tube Babe on the nice Brown. It was great to meet you and your wife yesterday. It was also nice to meet Road, Geezer, and Big Papa Fish. We had quite the BFT day. Fishin's always funner with friends. Go Fish Pikeman
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It really was a good day for a meetup. Hope to get together with you guys more, now that you live closer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are a couple of pics I did not post before that you might like for your own files.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
See all those holes in the back ground of the last picture? I drilled those on Sat. I noticed the tent up in the area where there was blood on the snow (where I fillet fish). I nailed the fish in that spot Sat. (62 fish) Kind of fun seeing a photo of where I had just been! I just followed your advice from previous posts and had a great first time at Jordanelle.
[signature]