Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Trout on swimbaits
A few years ago while the family was up at Lake Tahoe I hired a guide and fished the lake. We mainly fished for Kokanee but toward the end of the day we tried for some Lake Trout in deep water (summer time). We used these lead jigs (like a lead spoon) and only got one fish. The entire time I was kicking myself for not bringing any swimbaits because the conditions and the way we were fishing just kept making me think that a 5 inch bait on a 1.5 oz. jig head would work.

Anyway, I haven't had the opportunity to give it a shot yet but I just found this report on the Fish'n Canada website.

Looks like they work!

Has anyone else ever tried swimbaits for Lake Trout?
[signature]
I have caught numerous Lakers on swim baits in Flaming Gorge, Utah. From 4" with a 1/2oz. to 6" with 2oz. I usually take a variety of jigs, spoons, baits with me. Some days they want a 1oz dressed Kastmaster, others they take a 5" rainbow Storm minnow bait like candy. Tubes are probably the most consistant. Just change colors or add a light stick if they aren't biting.
[signature]
I have fished lots of time on Tahoe for the mackinaws and kokes. My old buddy is a guide on the lake for the last 15 years and is an expert on the subject. John fishes those macs much like we fish ( or like we used to) rock cod. He locates pinnacles on the bottom at about 250 to 300 feet down. Every one in his bearing book has clouds of fish on top of the hill. All of them mackinaw. It's a downrigger operation all the way but he would know best whether your baits would work. Send him an Email asking that question, he would love to hear from you. jvhinson@LTOL.com Tell him George sent you
[signature]
People do use big swimbaits for macks in tahoe, when i go we are usually using spoons of the tc shelf at about 340' but there are some success stories about toplining BIG swimbaits on the south shore, things like castaics in the 12" range rainbow colored
[signature]