Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wading boots
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]What kind of soles do you have on your wading boots? Probabably if you have the opportunity to wade/fish many types of waters you have several pairs with different types of soles. Or perhaps you might have a pair with interchangeable soles. eg The Wetlands offers 7 different soles. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
felt on 1- aqua stealth on another and during the summer I have a pair of New balance tennis shoes with studs with shoe goop screwed into the bottoms . Those are by far my favorite wading shoes for the summer. I do not use waders in the summer and these give me the grip on the teflon-like coated rocks in much of Wy. and the ability to cover distance on a trail.
[signature]
I just replaced my 10-year old, falling-apart wading boots with a brand new pair of Cabelas brand felt-lined wader boots. I did not get those with the studs, as my old ones always seemed to work fine without studs. I got them at the Cabelas store in Utah for $59.95.

Can't wait to get out to use them in a couple of weeks here.

Just remember to clean them really well after each trip and before moving to new waters so as to not spread disease such as whirling disease.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]That is about what I paid for mine at BM's. Likewise I just have felt pads. Good point about cleaning the the shoes after wading for the day or moving on to another stream. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]Here is a cleaning formular that I found at a health site:[/size][/#008000][/font][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]
[size 3]Study: Vinegar and bleach are a killer combo[/size]
[size 3]The cleaning solution can wipe out almost any microbe, [/size][size 3]including anthrax[/size] [ul] [li][size 3]Household cleaner and disinfectant[/size][/li][/ul]
[size 3]Dilute one cup of household bleach in one gallon of water[/size] [ul] [li][size 3]Add one cup of white vinegar[/size][/li][/ul]
[green]If one carried a quart or two they could clean off their boots on site. Probably would also want to rinse them off with fresh water before entering the water ways again. What do you think?[/green][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hi there Guest and thanks for stopping in at the BFT Fly-Fishing board. Would really like to address you by your handle so why don't you click on the Register Icon at the bottom of my post and join our fine group of fisher people. No cost and NO hassle.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]There are some waters where they consider one bathing or something similar if they are not wearing waders. Okay to wade by not bathing/swimming. Other places require that float tubers must wear waders. I wonder why? Yes I know why I was just being polite as this is a family oriented site. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Sounds good to me!
[signature]
If you want to add some confusion to the "No Waderless Tubes" concept, I have seen that more in lakes that are claiming to be a water supply but do allow swimming and boating.[pirate] Go figure!
[signature]
One of my favorite Res. here is waders or no go. (drinking water thing) By the way I have Simms Ultra lights Aqua stealth sole with 14" sheet metal screws for cleets. Easy to remove for boat fishing (that's the way they came and I tell others about the sheet metal screws, saves your felt also) I also use lace up flats boots and hip wader boot foot with felt soles.
[signature]
[center][Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Do you really mean 14 inch sheet metal screws? I have heard of 6" spiked heels but 14 inches?[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
what happened to my "/" key? hehehehehe 1/4" and you screw them into the sole.
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Whew - that does make adifference. I remember you saying that you were tall but that would be rediculious.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]ΒΌ =s alt+0188 key.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Just felt
[signature]
I have the soles the waders came with[Wink]. I did pick up a pair of shoes made by Teva with something called spider rubber on them. Man oh man are they sticky. I wish I would have held out and picked up some waders with stocking feet. I usually do not wear waders in the summer around here, I just wear the spider rubber shoes.
[signature]
[reply]
[reply]
I do not use waders in the summer [/reply]

I seem to remember another discussion about this, and in some areas wading without waders might be illegal. I am not sure if this is true or not. [/reply]

Certainly isn't in the West- I would think then swimming would be illegal also. I always wear waders when float tubing or pontooning.
Swimmers Itch is no fun and I know from experience.
[signature]
Would that be up the road from a rolling golf course? I love that pond. Fall spawning brookies in there will blow your mind.
[signature]
You got it Curtis. By the way, need to get you into deep water nymphing with chironomids up there this spring. What a rush. I caught more fish doing that in one day then the entire count for years past.
[signature]
After the pos Hodgmans I had that fall apart in less then a year, I said as much as I fish, I'm buying some good stout boots. I looked at Weinbrenner, Patagonia, Cabelas, Orvis and decided on Simms Guide boots. I think they set me back around 2 bills. Leather high tops, [#0000ff]aqua stealth soles with carbide spikes[/#0000ff]. Unconditionally guaranteed. That was spring of 2000 I think. Still going strong, love the soles when fishing in the winter (only problem is I have to soak them down before I go fishing, although I don't consider it a problem). Snow won't stick like it will with felt. Carbide spikes are great around snot rocks. Ankle support up the wazoo. I did get some felts for cooler weather fishing in the kickboat or tube (when I wear waders). The spikes chewed up the inside bottom of my flippers. Got some Orvis Brogues. When just in the kickboat, I use breathable hip boots w/felt soles. No need for waders when it's warm.
Best bet for good boots- Simms hands down.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Thanks EvilAsh for you input. Sounds like you give your shoes a good work out. I have a pair of Hodgman boots that have served me well. However, I must say that I don't have that many opportunities to wade here in SOCAL. I use my booties when I float tube. Took a look at the new Simms boots at the show last week. A good looking pair of boots that appear to be made very well. I guess that if I lived off a major water way I would be wading all year long. Then I guess that I would have considered Simms or something similar.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Just out of curiosity have you had a pair of wading boots that you haven't had to soak before putting on?

Trent
[signature]
The older Simm's guide boots were leather, which would explain the having to soak them first, but the Brogues are man made material, I sure you don't have to soak them.
[signature]