Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kind of fly to use?
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]I don't usually fly fish the regional parks as there are too many trees to contend with. Went to a different park today which is stocked with trout about every two weeks. Noted that there were several areas where I could fish and not have to worry about getting hung up. Now I have a question. What kind of a fly do you you think would work well in a lake of this type? No hatch to match. Water pretty well stained. Local guys were catching their limit using power bait. Actually went there today as I had some time to kill in the area and decided to practice with my new rod.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I say when in doubt try the basics. Pheasant tail, prince, zug bug, copper johns, and haresear (maybe try rubber legs). As far as drys, Adams, Royal Wulffs, Griffiths, HUMPIES[Wink] Next will be to figure out what size.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Much obliged there FGD. Since the Royal is my favorite will probably try that dude first. [/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]By the way what is the name of your little friend in your Astar?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
That is my baby, fishing buddy, navigator, ELVIS. He is a 13 yr old mini Schnauser(miss spelled but get the idea). His eyes and ears don't work great anymore but, that's okay, neither do mine. He is a lover.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]He is the same age as my Siberian Husky "Sitka". She will be 14 in June. Likewise her hearing is going down hill. Just love dogs. They are a good companion & friend. Will take her on my trip to Wyoming this summer. She rather sleep in my car while I fish than stay alone in a strange room.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Have you ever used Salmon glow bugs?? They can be tied in all the colors that yarn/power bait can be purchased.

I would suggest a sinking leader though as the bugs will tend to suspend just a bit.

If you see them using orange, yellow, green, strawberry etc........just tie up some with that color of yarn and you have just matched the hatch.

When in doubt, my favorite for the public play areas is the good ole Renegade on a sinking tip and a little dry-fly spray to keep it perky.

If that seems too easy then go into some of the basic bug and spider patterns.

The Achaearanea tepidariorum Spider is one of my all time favorites for even the most finicky of planter or native fish.
It is not an easy pattern but just having a couple of those in your box is like the having a ratcheting screwdriver in your tool box. It is much more useful and versatile.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]DJR was asking about hot glue eggs. They may work on these dudes. The trout are probably raised on some type of pellets so a yellow or orange might work.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Most of the little pellets that they give them are light to dark brown from the 4 hatcheries that I have been in CA.

I bet you could tie on a #20hook with a small piece of brown rubber band and do just as well.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Just for shiz and giggles I am going to try that this year TubeN2. #20 hook with piece of rubberband at the local pond here in UT. Now if it works we're gonna need a name.[cool][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I don't know if anyone else already beat me to it but back in 1982, I actually used them in local ponds up in Sacramento CA area. I used to call them Flinger Flys.

I would sometimes use a #18 or #20 hook and 1/8th wide brown or tan rubber band strips about 1/2inch long.

A much bigger version of that is on the market right now called lip ripperz.

That kind of fly has to be played like a small twitch bait. I would always get slammed on it with the hatchery pets.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Flinger flys works for me![/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]