Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry with MGB 3/4 report...
My cousin and I went with MGB to Strawberry this morning. We met at the gas station in Heber at 6:00 a.m. after driving through the blizzard and icy roads! There we discussed strategies and we followed MGB to Strawberry. Walking down to the ice would have been a LOT easier with snowshoes (or a snowmobile), but we made it, and Mike found some GPS spots and we decided to drill a few holes. Conditions were cloudy and snowing lightly and cold, but we were all hot and overdressed from our hike. It only took Mike about 2 1/2 minutes to catch the first fish! My cousin didn't even have his pole in the water yet! I caught the second fish and the action was fast and furious for most of the morning. I coudn't seem to hook them good enough. I had tons of bites and the sonar was going nuts, but I missed a LOT more than I caught! MGB didn't have a problem as usual, he kept pulling them out! The sun came out, it got warm and the fishing slowed down a little. Mike moved to a different hole, and my cousin went over and caught a 24" cut out of Mikes hole right after he left! Thats gratitude...MGB takes us to his honey hole and my cousin catches big fish of the day in his hole! Anyway, we (my cousin and I) had to leave around noon. At that point the tally was MGB=12, N.E.T.O=6 and N.E.T.O's cousin=3. Mike stayed and I think he is still there. Thanks Mike for sharing the honey hole with us, it was fun! I think Mike got a few pictures, my batteries were dead in my camera.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Mike sure is the man when it comes to jiggin' at the Berry. Any slush up there yet?
[signature]
Like Randy said the fishing was fast in the morning then it slowed down in the early afternoon. At 2:00 it finally picked back up agian I caught another7 cutts from 2:00-3:30.

There was about 10" of snow on the ice. The top 3"-4" was crust with powder underneath. Good conditions for snowmobiles but 4-wheelers would most likely have a tough time.

Randy, I am having a hard time posting (slow computer) and I don't dare try to load any pics. I emailed you the picture of the 24" cutt.
[signature]
Thanks Mike,
I'll try and post it.
Here is the fish my cousin caught. I think it needs to go towards MGB's tally! After all, he caught it out of MGB's hole, and if I'm not mistaken, was sleeping at the time and woke up and declared "...Oh, fish on!"
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
What area did you guys fish in? We used snowmobiles to get back to Renegade and had about the same success you guys had. The morning bite was hot and the late afternoon bite was hot but the middle of the day got pretty slow. We iced 77 fish total between the three of us. Nothing over the slot but a few under and one nice bow. We fished from 7am until 5:30pm. Great day for the Berry as far as the weather goes. Is that a buried wheeler behind your cousin in your picture? I went past some guys around Haws point by a wheeler that was buried pretty good. I had to make a quick run back to the truck for some sunscreen around noon.
We fished in Mosquito Bay. Most fish where the typical 18"-20" with 1 over and 1 under the slot. What looks like a stuck wheeler in the back ground of the photo it is N.E.T.O.,he dug the snow from around his fishing hole.

Congratulations on your day, 77 is some good numbers.
[signature]
Yup, that "stuck 4-wheeler" is just me. Thats the most snow I've had to ice fish in all year. At first I drilled my ice-hole, and the auger motor was clear down on the surface of the snow! Anyway, then when I sat it my chair, it sank...my feet were up higher than my butt...so I dug down to the ice...I guess it looks a little funny from a distance.
I thought it was funny that my cousin had to go over and prove to MGB that his fish really was 24 inches...Mike kept yelling "Its only 20 inches...throw it back!!!" I was busting a gut!
It really was a good day to be fishing. I wished I could have stayed the rest of the afternoon.