Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hailstone
Fished hailstone today with my daughter. Got on the ice about 8:30 but didn't get into the fish till around 11:00. Drilled 15 holes before finding the perch and ended the day with 24 fish.
I did get to meet Pikeman as we were leaving. Its nice when you can finally put a face to someone you read about on BFT.
I also met another fisherman when I got to the boat ramp that didn't catch anything. There was a language barrier between both of us but when both of you are fisherman you can always find a way to communicate. I gave him a few tube jigs that I used and showed him how I had my rod set up. He said he was coming back tomorrow to try them out. He was so happy that someone he didn't know would give him a gift and directions on where to try them out.
We both left with a Smile.
Frozenover (Formally sjgabby)
[signature]
Welcome the BFT! Thanks for the report. It sound like you finally found the fish. Did you only catch perch? How were the ice conditions? Glad you are aboard and I look forward to more of your reports.
[signature]
Yes it was nice to meet you also Frozenover. Your daughter had a lucky Ice hole. I ended up with 2 20 inch German Browns. Also about 15 Perch. One was almost 13 inches. Pikeman Go Fish
[signature]
Hey James,

Sounds like you did alright. We looked for you on the camera, but never did spot you.
Did Casey out fish you?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, I like the new name. Should help to keep you cool during the warmer months to come.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you found some fishies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like you did your good deed for the day. Ain't it great to be able to help fellow fisherpersons? We got quite a few BFTers on this board that keep that spirit alive.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Jim,
Casey's day started off slow but she ended the day catching more than me. She said she's up for Strawberry next weekend.

Pikeman, glad the ice holes produced. Again it was nice meeting you.
[signature]
I'm ready.
I look forward to Casey catching the biggest fish there.
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, Frozenover. I also went out to the Hailstone area but on Saturday afternoon. Got on the ice about 1:30, and finally got over the to point across the lake and my hole drilled at about 2:00 or so. Stayed till just before dark or so. It was dark by the time I got back to the car.

Anyway, got 26 perch and one small 'bow. It was fun even though I was fishing solo this trip. I would have caught more perch but I was fishing an area that had some brush down on the bottom and I'd get bit and then the fish would kamikazee it into the brush and hang me up before I could even set the hook. This happened probably 10 times. Lost about 5 jigs, but It was still worth it. Nice trip and awesome ice weather, but now I'm ready to chase the walleye and kitties this Spring at the big brown pond in Happy Valley!
[signature]
Glad to hear someone else got into some perch. I'm planning one more ice fishing trip to Strawberry hoping to catch that 25"er.

I'm going to try float tubing this year for catfish and anything else I can catch will be a bonus. I used to fish for catfish in NM so I'm hoping some of my tricks will work here. I'm new to float tubing but reading the posts on how to set up a tube for fishing with more than one rod has me excited. I'm hoping I can tag along with someone so they can give me a few pointers on how to safely use a float tube.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, good luck getting that 25 incher at 'da berry. If I had a power auger and snomo I'd probably make another trip or two out there this year, but I don't, and besides, the warm water fishies are starting to call me.

Frozenover, if you are looking at getting better at tubing, and catching Utah channel cats, you came to the right site. Sensai TubeDude is 'da man when it comes to that stuff! I'd be happy to help you where I can, but I'm a novice when it comes to that lake. I wouldn't say rookie anymore, but there's many who know more about it than me, but I'll be happy to show you what I've learned out there. In the meantime, make sure to check out TubeDude's FLOAT TUBING board, and click on the top sticky/thread titled "Best of the Best." However, I'll warn you that the Best of the Best is so packed full of so much info that you could literally spend hours and even days on there learning stuff... Here's a link: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81[/url];
[signature]
Fished Hailstone Saturday and Sunday limits of perch both days. Caught a 18 inch Brown on Sunday and a small rainbow. Fished today and came back SKUNKED. It's time to put up the ice gear and start chasing Kittys and Eyes.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bummer! But that is fishing. I suspect you ran into the same thing we did on our last trip...an approaching front. The fish either move elsewhere or develop lockjaw. We saw plenty on sonar, but they all had their little mouths closed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Enough of this hard deck madness. Let the soft water games begin.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Were you in the brown coveralls driving the red Ford?
[signature]
Make sure that you mention that you ate all 50 fish from the first day before you went and caught 50 more. The DWR busted a guy on here last year for admiting he was in violation of a F&G law.
The possession limit is 50 perch, the only way you can have more is if they are prepared for eating such as dried or smoked.
[signature]
Out4Trout,
I don't have a power auger either or a snomo, but I do have a sharp hand auger and snowshoes. Hopefully I won't need the snowshoes but the way the weather is down here I may.
Maybe I'll see you on the soft water this summer fishing for cats.
[signature]