Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something new
So, I have been hearing for years how good yellow is for white fish,this weekend I tied up half a dozen Barber scuds with yellow dubbing instead of frost grey, Worked great!! we caught a lot of fish on it.
I think I posted a pic of a grey barber scud but I will put it up again. I don't have a pic of the yellow yet. But you know what? all we caught on it was Browns, Go figure, there was white fish there too.
Red bead and all the same except dubbing.
[signature]
I remember years ago finding a yellow nymph on the green river and I tried fishing with it. I caught browns with that fly that would not hit anything else. I have always looked in the fly shops for yellow scuds or nymphs and I cannot find them.

If you ever tie up some for sale I would love to get my fishy hands on some of those. Or if you know who might have some barber scuds for sale. I liked the looks of the grey barber scud you showed. The yellow seems like it would be good.
[signature]
So are you happy or Sad that you caught only browns?

[Wink]
[signature]
My South Ogden Slayer is tied in two shades of yellow (dirty yellow and tan) and it does well for browns and rainbows and I have caught white fish on them.

katghoti
[signature]
You know, if you can't catch a white fish, it might as well be a Brown![Wink]
Better than getting skunked!
[signature]
I tie zebra midge nymphs in a variety of colors. Yellow works great sometimes. Once on the MP last summer, I caught several browns out of the same run with a yellow zebra midge after fruitlessly fishing the area with several other patterns for over an hour.

Chinook: Do you tie any flies? Thread midges are about the easiest and some of the most effective tailwater patterns to tie. They are basically thread wraps over the hook with a wire rib and maybe a beadhead. Shops typically don't carry all the sizes and colors of midge larva and pupa patterns that are available to trout, so it's beneficial to 'grow your own'.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]That is so weird but, answers a lot. I was fishing the MP yesterday, using Sylk line which is mustard yellow and the fish were nipping at my line.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
No, unfortunatley I do not tie my own flies. My wife says I have too many expensive hobbies as it is. I will have to find someone that can tie me up some yellow nymphs to use.
[signature]
Off topic, but how do you like the sylk line? Isn't it supposed to feel like the old silk lines of yester year? I bet you were fishin wood too[Wink]
[signature]
I was fishing wood. I can't compare the two lines cause I have never tried real silk, but I do know that sylk they try to correct all the down sides to the real stuff. I was using a furled leader (with the Musilin) and I imagin that is what the real stuff was like. I would replace all my dry lines with sylk if I could.
[signature]
chinook: You need to appeal to her sense of getting a bargain. Explain that tying your own saves money in the long run. Sweeten up the deal with a new pair of shoes for her. Tell her it's like scrapbooking for guys (and Flygoddess). You don't need alot to get started. Don't buy into the B.S. about renzetti this and thompson that (sure, you will grow into better stuff with time, but I don't think anyone can tell the difference between my flies and flies that are tied on a 200$ vise). My vise is from s. wharehouse and did not cost alot (don't even know what brand it is). It holds the hook in place. For under 50 $ you could start tying alot of the more simple yet effective nymph patterns like brassies, zebras, hares ears and pheasant tails. Sow bugs are easy too and catch fish every day of the year on the provo and weeb. Your fly fishing satisfaction will increase 10 fold when you start catching fish on your own ties, especially if it is a pattern you have tweaked to your own specs.

Alright brother, you know what you have to do. Now get to it[Wink]
[signature]
As far as the furled leader, do you 'roll your own'? Or does someone around here carry them? There was a thread about furled leaders on another forum and I've been dying to try one for dries, but have yet to see them in the shops I frequent. Thanks.
[signature]
I am using one the ol' man ordered, but the good news is we got the fixin's and will be making them soon. It is going to interesting and will use about 3/4 of a spool of uni-thread 6 (you would think they would figure out a way to get two out of one spool . but nooooooo). I let you know how it goes. Thinking 7 1/2 footers then 3 feet of tippet. And some kevlar for some sinking ones.
[signature]
Definetly let me know how it goes. I have the blueprint for a pretty simple jig for making furled leaders bookmarked. I'm thinking of trying it out myself. I think Orvis has a couple in their cataloug and so does Cabelas (but not in the store). Do you remember where the Mr. ordered yours from? I talked to Lance at Cabelas about them and he said a few others have shown interest in them as well. Maybe he will order some in.
[signature]
but still I'd be happier catching browns then whites

Trent
[signature]