Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muddler Minnow
Okay, I was on another forum and the point was brought up about a Muddler fished as a dry. I of course, started jerking chains (all in fun by the way) Why would you use a muddler for a dry? Well, if you think about it, it is tied with the same structure as a Kaufman's Hopper, sooooo, why not! I always have plenty of hoppers in my box and muddlers so this thought never occured to me and I started thinking about how I like that multi-tasking fly. Guess what, I am going to try it. If it doesn't work on top, pull and submerge it. It could be the fly of the year[Wink
[signature]
I don't think that I have one of those guys in my collection but I heard that some fish the muddler as a dry dragging it across the water creating a wake.  
[signature]
That is probably a great late summer technique especially in streams with tall grasses growing along the banks.
[signature]
Having never had anyone to show me how to fly fish I have fished with them on top in the Uintas and didn't do too bad some days. I caught a beaver on one and when telling the story found out they (the minnow) go under the water not on top. I stoped fishing them on top most of the time and never around beavers.
[signature]
Hi there tlspyder13 - now that is a story I think that is worth while hearing. Catching a beaver on a fly. Wow! I hope that you practiced C&R. I did start a sticky " A funny thing happened etc" where you can post your story. Would love to hear it all.