Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird Flu
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4]When I heard about how bad the bird flu is getting I am thinking no more chicken or turkey, but I think it goes beyond that. Fly Tiers, no more feathers...and those flies from overseas, hey they say it can be transmitted that way. Time to think of alternative materials and be very careful.[/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Very interesting point partner. You just might be the first one to hit on a possible connection between a tyer and the b-flu. Now you got me thinking as I had recently picked up some foreign made at the trade show this month. Will hunt around on the inter-net to see if I can gather some more info on this subject.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[left][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Hey there FGD I guess that there is room for concern about the bird-flu virus. Good heads up. Here is a short paragraph from a report I just read.[/size][/green][/font][/left]
[#ff0000]"In almost all human cases, infection was caused by close contact with sick or dead birds, such as children playing with them, or adults butchering them or taking off the feathers, Lee Jong Wook, director general of the WHO, said in a speech yesterday in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi." [/#ff0000]
[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]So I guess it is a matter of not using any imported feathers.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
This actually poses a question I have been wondering. Aside from the whole bird flu thing, what about other reasons for alternative materials? Being a pescatarian (I don't eat red meat or poultry, only fish and veggies) I have often felt bad about using some flies, like my favorite, the Elk Hair Caddis. The great thing about fly fishing, especially with barbless hooks, is that you can let the fish go after catching it. In order to make some flies like the caddis, you need pelt. This means if you are a strict catch and release fisherperson, you are still contributing to the killing of something. I don't mean to get into a whole debate here, to each his own right? But why aren't there more flies made out of synthetic or natural, non-harmful materials, like wool? I know there are some, but does pelt material really work better? And when I start tying my own flies, would I be able to find these alternatives?

Just a thought,[cool]
[signature]
[font "Impact"][red][size 3]Sure there is synthetics out there, marabou hair & wing material, but the problem will be hackle. Can't think of any alternative. We can try more foam flies.[Wink][/size][/red][/font]
[font "Impact"][red][size 3][/size][/red][/font]
[font "Impact"][red][size 3][/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
Great new image FG, I thought I was at the Bass Player forum for moment.
[signature]

[ul] [li]you could go with cow hair, but they are transfering mad cow![/li] [li]you could try elk, deer, antilope, caribou, but they are packing waisting desease[/li] [li]you could go with cat hair but the amonia from that can make you ill over a period of time[/li] [li]you could go with pig or bear hair but then you would have to worry about tricanosis.[/li] [li]rabbit hair is to soft,[/li] [li]that leaves only three things, Goat - lama/elpaka - and the hair on the back of your hubbies head. if I see you comming up with loads of trout and your hubbie is starting to show a shine I will know what your new sorce is.[laugh][/li] [li]there is one other product you could try but you will have to what out for them tree huggin hippies out there in the woods, "Hemph" they will want to clean you out of them smokin flies.[sly][/li][/ul]
I dont mean to make light of a serious situation, it is not the first time the bird flue hit america, not this particular one but another strain, my aunt died from it. It came over during WWII, millions of people all over the world died from it. it did learn how to jump form person to person. It didnt kill every one. we are still here.

constant aperances of infected animals is a sign of over population. larger amount of animals forced to live in smaller natural or human habitated areas is the real ciulprit here. it is something to worry about, the schools are failing to get the message across the world that we cant continue to increase our human population the way we have been, not just be cause of desease, but we are changing our environment in the prossess. we have to do it as a society or nature will do it for us... when nature dose it, it aint pretty.

for now the best thing you can do is stay away from kissing bird buts because untill the virus evolves you can only get it by comming in direct contact with droppings of infected birds, that means no more laying under the tree on your cot or hammock sawing wood. all it takes is one bommadeer.

the stuff you are getting from the store has been bleached and in many cases put an extreem salting and or tanniing prossess. so any thing they did have would be long gone before you got it.

by the way, congradulations on becoming a moderator, I would have welcomed ya sooner but I have been dealing with kintucky fried computers.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]Dave, so glad to hear from you. I too have suffered with the internet lately, but mine is dial up and the phone lines are messed up somewhere. They can't seem to find the problem.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]Thanks for the update on the bird flu, but not only from the butt[Wink] of birds but ther saliva and growing up un a farm when them birds flap their wings....runnnnnn![/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]The bad thing is that they have found no vaccine yet and it keeps changing. [/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]I agree on the treatment of the feathers but there is some viruses that even bleach won't kill. [/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]What A World..........[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]I deffinitly agree with the overpopulation problem! And that's coming from someone living in the land of Zion with all the Mormons.[/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]For information on this subject click on the following news link:[/size][/#008000][/font]

[url "http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1885504,00.html"]http://www.news24.com/News24/Technology/News/0,,2-13-1443_1885504,00.html[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]DryRod, oops you done it again .......(gotta be into pop music to get that one) Right on. Thanks for the official report. Love ya[/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Thanks FGD. Did you say that you are still on dial-up?[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 3]Do you ever have this problem?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14821;][/center] [center][#008000]Have a Happy St Patty's Day - by gosh![/#008000][/center]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 5]Yup![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]