Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hailstone Ice Report
[cool][#0000ff]In front of witnesses I declared that I was through ice fishing as of two weeks ago. But NO-O-O-O-O-O, Theekillerbee would not let me stick to my word. He insisted...nay, dragged me kicking and screaming...to another drillin' and chillin' session on Jordanelle. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]11 degrees and breezy at our 7 am landing upon the ice. About 4 inches of snow, over frozen slush over about 8 inches of ice. Trudged over to my "never miss" spot and missed. Cold wind and cold fishing. We did finally ding a few small perch and I got one small rainbow and 1 chunky chub. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got to meet Kastmaster, who had set up with doggonefishin' about 50 yards east of us. Apparently they got only small perch and some chubs too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Me and TKB finally gave up on the "good spot" when the cold fishing went dead. We moved over to join Pikeman and Da Bomb. They had quite a few small perch on the ice with a few decent ones. I settled into one hole and gave my "quick draw" rod holder a good workout for a few fish and then it went dead for me too. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Polokid and his friend and small son came out on the ice after noon. They set up to the north of us and PK's black lab liked our spot much better. We had some fish on the ice and the smells of Pikeman's deer jerky and turkey salami had the poor pooch turning cartwheels.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Among scattered perch bites, Da bomb landed a small rainbow. Soon after that Pikeman hooked another and hollered to bring the young boy over to reel in his first fish. That is always great to see. Hats off to ya Pikeman for giving the kid a thrill.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The sun was out a good part of the time but the temps never got above the low 20's. Ice in the guides all day until we left about 2:30. Everybody caught something...even if it was only pneumonia. It looked like PK and his band of 3 were bringing in a perch or two when we left. Hope they got enough for those fish tacos he wanted.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As usual, great to be on the ice with fellow BFTers even if the fishing was not stellar. At least I didn't have to watch myself on the lake cam while slaving away in some office.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
A friend and I fished Halistone for a few hours today ( 7:30 to 11:30) and caught about 50 perch and one rainbow about 14 inches long. The bite was very light and the fish were all tight to the bottom. Some were ok and some were very small. It was really my last day on the ice for the season as I have move all my ice gear to a storage unit. Out of site ,out of mind. It was nice to meet all the BFT folks this season. I fish a lot for eyes and cats at Utah Lake so I know I will meet more of you fine folks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you got some fish. We got quite a few but mostly small.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am changing my spare time address to. Likely to bump into each other on Utah Lake maybe. We will each look for the guys NOT carrying ice augers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good to finally meet you, TD. DGF and I caught a mix of rainbows, perch, and chubs. I was ready to move to your 'good spot' when I saw a fish on the finder do a dive bomb to my jig. I thought it was a chub, but realized that the fight and the weight was not of a chub. Played with it for a while, caught a glimpse of it and sure enough, it ain't a chubbie. Finally got the nose up the hole and got it on deck. Proof is in the picture. This bruiser made up for the slow perch bite and the pesky chubs, weighed in at a little over 3 lbs and sh y of 21". Maybe one more time on the ice, TD?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well done.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nope. Not til next hard deck time. Maybe the last time in '06.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good to meet you on the ice, but look forward to some cat rasslin' with you too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]A buddy of mine was out there today also. He just registered for bigfish, so hopefully he can post soon and give yo his report. He did send me a picture of some of the fish that he caught. His name is Scott_L. And he also wanted me to tell polokid that he says thanks for helping him get his sled into his jeep. We usually go together, but I was working this weekend and he decided to head out by himself. Here is the perchie that he was getting into.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Once again, way to go on that nice bow and thanks for coming with me today. I had fun. It is good to hear that all the BFTers got a few. As George said, we did about the same as everyone else. We both collected a sack of perch and a few small (and one big) trout here and there. A higher percentage of the perch were smaller males than other trips I have had up there. However, we were blessed (cursed) by a constant catch of 10-12 inch chubs. They would be suspended or on the bottom. They usually came through on the finder like trout. I caught at least 12 of them myself! I kept moving and they followed. Weird, I have caught 1 or 2 thru the ice before, but nothing like that. Oh well, they actually are fairly scrappy on light tackle.

One last thing. One of the last perch I filleted today had some of these "parasites" we have discussed in the meat. It was a small male and it was actually heavily infested. I saved a sample and will submit it to a veterinary pathologist on Monday for review. I will have an answer by the end of the week and will post the results.
[signature]
TD, thanks for taking a picture of my little buddy on his first ice fishing trip ever. He had a blast. We caught a few perch, but we were more interested in getting the little buddy on fish rather than fishing for ourselves. Plus, being distracted by trying to keep the fish stealing dog in check! [cool] We had a blast, and it was great to meet up with Pikeman and TKB again.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks KS, keep up the good work (referring new members). That new shirt will help, but you wouldn't have been fishing in just that yesterday. The shirt would be black and you would be blue, with some white frost around the edges.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those are some nice perch. The problem with Jordanelle is that the bigger fish do not travel in schools of similar size, like they do in many waters. You get one here and one there, along with all the little ones. But, there are some schools that have more larger ones mixed with the little guys. Looks like your friend set up in the right place at the right time.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]He said that when he read your report it accounted for pretty much everybody that was out there. I really don't know where exactly he was fiching, but he would have been in a green shack. He's a pretty big guy so if ya saw him you probably couldn't miss him. He regularly checks up on the board, but he never registered until I finally made him do it last night. I think he has been having issues registering though, but not sure. Hopefully he gets on ok, and he can post up on where he was fishing.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Yes I saw another couple of guys and one guy had a green tent. Fishing just north of castmaster. I believe that's where he was fishing. On the north west side of the bay. Pikeman GO FISH
[signature]
Sorry I think it was one guy with the green tent that I observed. It was nice meeting you Theekillerbee. Hope you enjoy the Panco Recipe. Pikeman GoFish
[signature]
'Tis true, I had to beg, steal, borrow, and hold a gun to TubeDude's head to convince him to go ice fishing! He kicked, screamed, and whined the whole trip![Tongue]

Was a nice day to be out. Like Pat said, the breeze was a little bit of a bother, but all-in-all, it sure was nice to get out again. The perch weren't as friendly as I would have hoped, but they did play a little.

Pikeman, it was great to fish with you! You are a true fishing genious! Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to try it! Polokid et all, it was nice to see you again, and to meet your little fishin' buddy. Looks like he was able to reel in a few fish! Always fun for the kids.

Hopin' to get out at least a couple more times before ice off anyways. Gotta see how this weather hold out. Too much snow this morning!
[signature]
Hey Tubedude,
We were there also...I swear I've been to the same lake at the same time as you at least a dozen times...and have yet to meet you in person!
Anyway, my cousin and I arrived at about 7:00 a.m. and only stayed till about 11:00 and left as the storm came in. We were fishing for Perch at first (Mostly for future Walleye bait, but to eat if big enough also...) and I kept seeing a bigger fish swim about 20 feet down on my sonar...so I dropped a jig and whammo! A 21 inch Brown! I also caught a 14 inch Rainbow and a dozen or so Perch.
We showed the Brown to a guy who was just arriving as I was leaving in the parking lot as he reported a 27 inch Brown being caught by his relative the day before...
We were across the bay north of the Marina. It was coooooold and I was out of propane caninsters when we left! We were in about 29 feet of water or so. Fishing seemed really good until about 10:30 and then it kind of stopped...even the perch. But I have to admit, I had a hard time going for perch anymore after hooking up with the big brown!
Who owns the truck that says "GO FISH" on the license plate with the BFT sticker in the window...?
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
That truck belongs to Pikeman!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]That's a nice brownie you got! I still have yet to get one out of there, but I hope that will change this year.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Boy, I thought you were a hard core tuber and all...[Tongue]

Nice report though. Glad you could tangle with those Lake X perchies one last time through the ice this season.

As for next weekend, I've seen a forcrash for a chance of snow, and one forcrash that said cloudy, but both of them said a high of 49, and that's finally warm enough for me to tube, so TUBE I WILL!! Mike and I plan on hitting the Lindon "area" on Saturday. Of course you (and TubeBabe too) are invited if you are free around then.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I talked to Mike on the phone yesterday and he mentioned your plans. I am going to try to get down for an exploratory sometime during the week. Will let you know what I find...or don't find.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I was there with my hand held radio on channel 12 all day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is a COOL picture. The cold and wind really chilled the fishies down fast. Glad you got that nice brown. The other fish are just frosting on the cake. Right?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Note to self: Buy a radio next I'm at Sportsmans.

Yup, after catching the Brown it was really hard to get excited about the perch again! I didn't realize it until I got looking thru my fish journals but that is my all time personal best Brown, and my big fish ever out of Jordanelle. I caught a 20 1/2 inch on 12/19/04 out of Jordanelle, and a 19 incher last month from Jordanelle.

P.S. On the subject of Radios, which frequencies do I need to get or are they all the same now?
Thanks
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.