Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golden State's Monroe Prevails In Elite Series Opener, 'The Battle On The Border'
DEL RIO, Texas — The Bassmaster Elite Series' "Battle on the Border" began with 106 of the world's best anglers and ended on Sunday on Lake Amistad when Hughson, Calif., angler Ishama Monroe celebrated his first win in his 10-year BASS career, earning the top prize of $100,000.

To see the history-making event, tune it to The Bassmasters aired Saturday, March 18 on ESPN2 at 10 a.m. ET.

Monroe brought in a five-fish stringer of 23 pounds, 8 ounces on Day 4 for a tournament total of 104-8. The angler came close - but didn't break - the BASS record for heaviest four-day tournament weight of 108-12, still held by Arizona angler Dean Rojas.

Included in Monroe's sack was a 9-pound Big Bass of the Day, earning him an additional $1,000 bonus. The 31-year-old pro, who was previously ranked 32nd
on the Bassmaster Elite Series Power Index, also gained ground by moving to 13th
place, increasing his average weight caught to 24-11 per tournament.

"I've been waiting for this moment my whole career," Monroe said. "I want to thank BASS for making my dreams come true. Getting a win was the first item on my checklist and now I'm focused on the Angler of the Year. This has definitely been the best week of my career."

Monroe said his secret to catching the key 9-pounders throughout the tournament was a snag proof frog. Additionally, he threw a Reaction Innovations Vixen. He searched for bedding fish the final day, working slowly in shallow water 1 to 8 feet deep.

Monroe's friend and roommate, Fred Roumbanis of Auburn Calif., finished second overall. The 26-year-old brought in the largest sack of Day 4 with 28-1, earning the $1,000 Heavyweight Bag of the Day bonus. If it remains one of the 10 heaviest in Elite Series season, Roumbainis will qualify for the Shootout later in the year.

"I am just stoked for him," said Roumbanis, referring to Monroe. "If someone beats me, I want it to be one of my friends. I am just so happy to say that I finished in second place."

Roumbanis fished water 8 to 20 feet deep, throwing swim baits to isolated islands.

In third place and rounding out the California anglers of the Elite 12 was Mike Reynolds of Modesto. The one-time BASS winner brought five fish to the scales for a total weight of 99-4. Reynolds fished beds and threw both topwaters and tubes into trees. He fished water no deeper than 10 feet.

The rest of the field was Greg Hackney of Gonzales, La., in fourth with 98-5; Steve Kennedy of Auburn, Ala., in fifth (97-3); Kevin VanDam of Kalamazoo, Mich., in sixth (97-0); Alton Jones of Waco, Texas, in seventh (95-6); Gary Klein of Weatherford, Texas in eighth (94-3); Ken Cook of Meers, Okla., in ninth (93-7); Matt Reed of Madisonville, Texas in 10th
(91-3); Edwin Evers of Talala, Okla., in 11th
(87-13); and Dean Rojas of Havasu, Ariz., rounding out the Elite 12 with 82-6.

"Thank goodness these guys slipped a little," Monroe said. "Kevin VanDam is one of the best anglers out there and you never want him behind you." VanDam, the 2001 and 2005 Bassmaster Classic champion, maintained his leadership on the Power Index, catching an average of 37-13 per tournament.

Overall, the top 50 Elite Series anglers cashed in on a total prize purse of $673,150 and all 106 earned points towards qualifying for the Bassmaster Majors and the highly coveted Bassmaster Angler of the Year Award.

"The Battle on the Border" is the first of 11 Elite Series events in 2006. The next stop, "The Lone Star Shootout" is scheduled for Sam Rayburn Reservoir on March 16-19 in Jasper, Texas. Elite Series anglers compete for a total of $7.4 million cash in these events.
Media Contact:
Bass Communications
(407) 566-2208
[url "http://www.bassmaster.com/"][#990000]www.bassmaster.com[/#990000][/url]
[signature]