Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pine Island
The beach fishing has really turned on, with the best bites have been on the outgoing tide. The wind has also been cooperative for the most part, allowing some great fly fishing shots on beach Tarpon. A variation of the Black Death has been very productive for me. Now matter what fly or bait you are throwing, it is very important to make a good presentation to the fish. A lot of my clients and anglers that I see on the water will make their cast right into the pod of fish, thinking that there are so many, one will eat! They will most likely spook and change direction. The one aspect that makes it tough is the fact that other anglers are spooking the fish all day long. And the more they are spooked the harder they are to catch.<br><br> Here are some of my thoughts on trying to out smart the Tarpon. First, try not to make a crossing or going away shot. There are many times when your only shot will be crossing, the key is to be ready and get your fly (or bait) in front of the fish before they are going away from you. You have to be quick and accurate. When you make your presentation you want it to land on your side of what I call the “centerline”. The “centerline” is simple. Imagine drawing a line down the center of the fish, between the eyes, from the head to the tail. Now extend that line at least 15’ in front of the Tarpon. That is my imaginary “centerline” that I look for when I am making my shot. The key is to get far enough in front of the fish and land on the “centerline” so that you don’t spook them.<br><br> The second shot that I use is on daisy chaining fish. First figure out which way the chain is going, clockwise or counter clockwise. On a clockwise chain (if you imagine that the chain was a clock face) the right side of the chain would be 3 o’clock. I like to make my first cast between 1 and 3 and about 2’ outside of the fish. If there is a hungry fish they will often jump out of the chain to eat. If that does not work I gradually start working closer to the chain. Accuracy if very important, it might look as if you are casting into a barrel of fish, and often we are but don’t let yourself get into the reckless casting mode. <br><br>Tight Lines,<br>Capt, Scott Taylor<br><br><br>