Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lighting a fire in the rain.
I am originally from Washington and that is were I learned this skill.

If you are in the woods and you need to light a fire look around the trunks of pine trees. You will find bark and some pitch that is compacted into hard lumps. The lumps will last forever so pick up as much as you can. Just keep them cool or else the lumps will melt. Carry some with you and if you need to light a fire use one as catalist to start it. It burns long and hot and will even light when it is wet.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Daniel,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]That's a good tip for folks - pine pitch(sap) is volitile and is a great fire starter. One way to portage the stuff is to wrap it in stripped bark, grasses, or even some piece of paper or plastic litter found on the ground(unfortunately or fortunately as the case may be, litter can be found almost anywhere - much of it will burn nicely as well). [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Another thing that will work well that is available just about anywhere there is water, is the top part of cattails(the fluffy stuff that looks like a cigar). Break one of the tops open and spread it out, then apply either flame or spark. Be sure to keep your face out of the way, as that stuff can explosively ignite. It does not burn very long, but it is quite hot and will start a good fire if you have gathered and prepared in advance your fire materials.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Also, to keep a fire burning after it has been started successfully, look for kindling from dead wood that is still standing - it will be drier than anything that is on the ground. The bark stripped from conifers(pines, spruces, firs and especially junipers or cedars) taken from the driest side of the tree, and/or the lower(protected from direct rain or snow fall) dead branches(these are often bone white) of the local softwood deciduous(populars) trees, and the dead brittle thin branches of hardwoods, will burn even if damp. Typically, the driest stuff for burning will be found close in to the tree on the side that is protected by the tree's trunk and axial branches from the prevailing weather patterns.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The best time to practice these skills(and they are developed skills) is when a person has the luxury of not needing to use them immediately [/size][/black]
[signature]
great tips, thanks.
[signature]
Knowing how to start a fire is one thing; knowing how to do it in the rain is a whole other. I usually store Char cloth in my kit and it never fail me!
[signature]