Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bartlett 01-17-03
Tube,

didnt mean to get your thermal undies and neoprenes in bunch with that last little post......just razzin the ole Moderator.

Anyway,

Went to Bartlett to try and get out of my fishin funk as we arrived at the break of day and the wind blowin hard enough to cause white capps on the lake we were thinking if this was a good choice to come here or not....in the end it was a good day.

Started fishing around Verde head as the wind was blowing right into the little cuts there. We were hopeing that the shad would of been pushed up into those cuts with all the tumbleweeds and anything else loose in the lake at that time. We fished spinnerbait/cranks from shore to about 20 feet untill we couldnt take the wind much more and we left with two small bass both caught on Chartruse rattle traps.

We moved just below the north ramp to shelter from the wind and fish some of the main lake points in that area. I was throwing a bluegill color twin tail hula grub and my partner was throwin a splitshot power worm. With in no time of arriving at this spot we boated another couple of small bass. So we moved into the coves with no luck, and as soon as we would come back out on to the points we would pick up a couple of more fish so thats when we figured out their pattern. Stick to the main and secondary points of the lake and each point was worth 2 to 3 fish, come back to the same point 20 minutes later and another 2 to 3 fish again. After hitting about 5 different points a couple times each we were off the water with 15-20 fish all about 1-2 pounds (typical Bartlett fish). Most of the fish were caught on the splitshot worm but the slightly bigger fish were caught on the jig/hula grub. The bite was real real real soft strictly just a pressure bite and if you couldnt feel the pressure you werent going to catch the fish. We lost maybe another 10 fish by how lite the bite was. We talked to quite a few other guys with no fish in the boat at all and saying they werent coming back for a while......just means more fishies for me and the ole Tube dude if I can get him out on the lake..

If I was going again this is what I would do

Stick to the main lake points and work a splitshot/carolina rig real real slow with a 4 inch black power worm or lizard. Occasionally throw the jig on the deeper points and pay attention these fish are not aggressive at all and when you feel the pressure set the hook, might be a rock, but most of the time as I found out it was a little Bartlett Football.

Fish On
[signature]
[cool] Now that's what I call a real newsy post. Great stuff. I'm assuming the fish were shallower than the fish in Saguaro. I had heard that they are shallower but I wasn't aware they were so touchy. I'll bet that was tough with the wind blowing. I can handle almost anything but wind...especially when it is a finesse bite.

You were modest in not pointing out that most fishermen do not do well if it requires "touch" to catch fish. You really have to be in tune with what is going on down there, and experienced enough to know the difference between a taker and a twig. It ain't always easy, no matter how experienced you are. I've made some great hooksets on tree branches and failed to react in time on real fishies far more often than I'd care to admit.

But, to me, that's a big part of what fishing is all about. You keep fishing and learning and refining your tackle and skills, until you can fish almost any water and any conditions with confidence. That's a big key too, as you well know. You have to maintain an expectant attitude so that when that subtle difference happens at the end of your line, you are expecting it and do the right thing.

You hate to brag and be smug about having a good fish count when the other guys are zipping, but dang it, when you have earned it, it's okay to gloat a little. Now you gotta translate your skills into a tournament, where it really counts...and cash it.

We shall go forth upon the waters together soon...I hope. Man, I have had a steady procession of out-of-towners...and other downers. My rod arm has a steady twitch that is downright embarassing...especially in mixed company. If I don't get an antidote for my case of fishing pox soon, I won't be responsible for my actions.

One suggestion I might toss out for your arsenal, on your next trip...is some 6" ringworms...black with chartreuse tails. I rig them jig style, with an 1/8 ounce jig head...black with chartreuse eye. In the cold and/or murky waters of the Verde River and lakes that color is well received...either bounced down the slope or vertical jigged on points and humps. They work well drop shotted too.

Keep in touch. We gotta do it.
[signature]