Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Nevada?
I just moved to northern Nevada, and was wondering if anyone had any info on fishing up here. I know the Humboldt River is nearby, as well as Wildhorse Reservoir--but that's about all I know. Any information would be great. Thanks.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. Northern Nevada has a lot of good fishing. Unfortunately, as with most of the state, there are miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. Fishing holes are far apart, but usually worth the drive. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are anywhere near Elko, spend some time getting to know the Ruby Marsh area, to your south. Lots of good fishing both for trout and warm water species, like largemouths.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The upper reaches of the Humboldt have decent trout fishing. The further you go toward Rye Patch Reservoir, the more the stream warms and the more likely you will be to find catfish, white bass and other species that might run up from the reservoir.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you like stillwater fishing, Rye Patch is great. Lots of good bassin', walleyes, catfish and other warm water species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are a good internet jockey, you should be able to find lots of basic info on the fishing and waters of your part of the state. Let me know if you need help and maybe I can scare up some good links for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you don't mind a bit of a drive, take the road (from Wells) up to Twin Falls, Idaho and stop at Salmon Falls Reservoir. Great walleyes and other species.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TubeDude. I've been looking over some maps to see where some of these places are at, and I'll probably try out a couple of them soon. The Humboldt is pretty high, but I'm sure I'll get a chance to try it some time. I appreciate the info and will share any updates/questions I have after I actually get some fishing in.
If you live around Elko, I'd think serious about South Fork reservoir. Lotta trout, LMB, SMB, wipers & some honking channel cats. Dunno much about shore fishing possibilities on that pond but I'll bet the Humbolt below the dam would be worth while.
[signature]
If you're near Winnemucca, Knott Creek and Onion reservoirs are GREAT trout lakes, though this year, Onion will be better as Knott Creek suffered a 75 percent die-off because of blue-green algae taking over last year. Blue lakes, too.
Cave lake and comins lake down at ely are great fishing for pike and trout. Last I heard wild horse had perch back in it and has trout and wipers, chimney out of paradise valley has walleye and trout, angel lake above wells has lots of small trout in a variety of species, willow creek reservoir up out of tuscarora has bass and trout. Lots of opportunities depending on what you want to target.