Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green river help please
Hi all. I am going to the Green River on saturday for the first time. I am going with some friends that have fished it a few times but this will be my first time. I think we are going to fish the A section?????

I am still a novice fly flinger on fast water and am more comfortable on still water. I just want to go prepared with the correct assortment of flys that will hopefully catch a few fish. What should I take (both dry's and nimph type stuff)? Thanks!
[signature]
my favorite set up is 18 copper/black Zebra with a 18 soft hackle sow trailer.
Make sure your leader is long and you have enough weight to get to the bottom.
[signature]
This time of the year, I like to use a tandem rig with a San Juan Worm, or a Beaver Leech tied on first and a size 18 or 20 Copper John or Pheasant Tail dropper. A Glow Bug would also be worth trying as the first fly. The most important thing you can do is to be sure and fish on the bottom of the river. Use a 9' to 12' tapered leader and 2' to 3' of tipit and about 16" of tipit between the flies. Use a strike indicator placed close to your connection between the leader and fly line. Mend your line as needed so as to not be pulling your flies down stream. Place small sinkers about 12" above your first fly. Stay in touch with the bottom once in a while but not every cast.
Be ready for a very light bump. The fish will not hit your fly very hard so watch for the indicator to react to the strike.
You may want to go to Trout Creek Flies for river flows and hot flies. Good luck and report back.
[signature]