Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Greatest Fly Of All Time
[red][size 3]OK, call me lazy. I was catching up on old posts and found the top three flies not to be caught without in your fly box discussion back in November and no one even came close to mine. 1. Dry Moose Hair Mosquito 2. Wet Moose Hair Mosquito. 3. Any other Moose Hair Mosquito. (Once in a while if I'm feeling ambitious I'll try a wooly bugger.) [/size][/red]
[red][size 3][/size][/red]
[red][size 3]I used to really get into all of that match the hatch stuff and went to the extremes of taking an entomology course, setting surface and bottom nets to see what was getting pulled down the river, turning over rocks, rustling bushes, suctioning stomachs, packing my field fly tying kit over hundreds of miles of Montana wilderness just in case we needed to make a new pattern streamside, checking lunar, solar and planetary line up tables and what not. We did OK - but bottom line - rarely nothing I couldn't reproduce with a good old fashioned home tied moose hair mosquito pattern. My partner in crime settled into the same opinion only with a small Adams variation. (He said it was to much of a bother anymore so he just created an Adams hatch wherever he went.) [/size][/red]
[#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000]
[#ff0000][size 3]Whats the greatest fly of all time? I nominate the Moose Hair Mosquito. [/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
If I had to fish rivers and streams for one full year with only 1 fly and no other, I would have to go with a Renegade.
I do most of my fishing from a toon on lakes though, so in that case I would choose an Olive Wooley Bugger.
[signature]
What not double bunny? I'd like to see a pic of your moose hair

Trent
[signature]
Orange floss hare's ear!!!!! By far the most productive river fly i have ever used. It is my own creation. I will try and get a pic. If not that one then the parachute adams.
[signature]
I have caught a lot of fish on a mosquito but I think I would use a parachute ant first,doesn't tear up as easy.
[signature]