Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what kind of saltwater fish will you be targeting this year
Whats that one fish that you want to catch.[angelic]
[signature]
My "unicorn" is a blue marlin. I've yet to land one, and I hope to change that this year.
[signature]
Mine is a toss up between a Great White Shark C&R and a Scalloped Hammerhead Shark also to CPR. Catch Photograph Release.[cool]
[signature]
Hi Sailfish4me,

In SoCal I'll target the following:

fish (plural) first caught during the year:
Albacore
Barracuda, California
Barred Sand Bass- 1/4
Bonefish
Bonito- 1/4
Cabezon
Calico Bass- 1/4
Corbina
Halibut, California- 1/1
Halibut, Pacific (rare)
Johnny Bass- 1/24
Ling Cod- 2/8 (released)
Needlefish
Opaleye- 1/24
Queenfish- 1/1
Scorpion Fish (Sculpin) 1/11
Sheephead, California- 1/4 (released)
Spotted Bay Bass- 1/1
Spotfin Croaker
Sugar Bass- 1/25
Walleye .... (surf) perch
Whitefish- 1/25
White Sea Bass
Yellowfin Croaker
Yellowfin Tuna
Yellowtail, California

(Other perch, and rock fish (RF)are by-catch to me.)

Perch, Barred Surf
Perch, Blacksmith- 1/4
Perch, Buttermouth
Perch, Catalina Blue
Perch, Rubber Lip
Perch, Zebra

Barber Pole RF- 3/23
Black RF- 3/23
Brown RF- 3/23
Reds RF- 3/23
Salmon Grouper RF- 3/23
Starry RF- 3/23

Species I've not caught yet in SoCal thus ....l'll target this year:

I would like to catch a Striped Bass (Striper). They were brought over from the East Coast and planted in the Sacramento Delta area then migrated here and there. The little creatures are caught down in the front and back-bays around Newport and Dana.

JapanRon
[signature]
Dang Ron, looks like you've got some work to do. [Tongue] Where are you going to start? That's a big list.
[signature]
Hi there Tarpon4me,

Tomorrow..... fishing the 3/4 Day Premier. Going to Catalina Island. The first time I catch a species in the list..... I'll edit my post to show the date caught.

Got the idea in hearing about the blogs people had for their adventures.

JapanRon
[signature]
i wanna catch some big halibuts and fry em up hahahah
[signature]
Thats an awesome idea, updating your post. I'll try and keep an eye on it to keep it at the top, so we can all track it. You know what would be a really cool set up, creating a message board of "wish Lists" for all the BFT anglers. We can all make lists of fish that we've never caught or have had problems targeting in the past, and up date them as we catch them, with info as to how it went down. That would be a cool way of the members tracking our catches, kinda like an illustrated fishing log. I wonder what theangler would think of that?
[signature]
Hey JR. I can update those into the post for you once you post them on the Cali board. Or simply add them to this thread. [Wink]
[signature]
This year:
Cobia
[signature]
I've never caught a cobia - that's what I'm shooting for...
[signature]
Make sure and keep'em, there isn't much better table fare than a cobia.
[signature]
I heard it's good to eat, but the minimum keeper is 33" - haven't heard of many keepers around here. Besides, it would have to real good to beat a snook!
[signature]
I was able to visit your great state about 7 years ago and took my marine nephew[ who became disabeled in the service] out fishing in Port Charlet. He caught a 36" cobia. The guide was so impressed that I told him to let it go, he took us to his secret spots. It was a female. { I told him we could get Mackerel in CT.] This guy was an old cracker and showed us a good time. Well worth the money. I did share a red fillet with him that ate the hook.
[signature]
Last year it was Sturgeon, This year I'd like to get a Gar and a Tarpon. If I had to pick one this year, TARPON!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
If you get froggy, hop on over to the Myrtle Beach area and i'll take you out to one of the inshore reefs. You have as good a chance hooking up with a Tarpon there as anywhere else.(besides the flats in Florida or something like that.) And while you're waiting, the cobia, king mackeral, and other species are plentiful and can be caught while we're waiting. Or a large tiger shark if that suits your fancy.[cool] And that's cool too, i've got a chum bucket and a Penn 6/0 with your name written all over it.
[signature]
Hey Tarpon4me - have you ever fished the US Open King tourney in Southport NC? I used to live in the next town over (Long Beach) and loved to see the boats that came to town every year... I friend of mine won one year and is still running the restaurant he bought with his winnings...
[signature]
I've never fished that t.o. before. I like to try and stick around the local area when I do the deed. My poor little 21 footer can't make the run those big dollar boats can, but in the local waters I have a pretty good edge and don't need to make those gulf runs to find big kings. I've fished alot out of Charleston and Murrells Inlet. I've come in top 3 in a few Pro-Ams. I'd love to fish that tourney though. Those guys are very skilled and pack some big balls. I'd probably have to save two pay checks just to pays due's for that tournament. [cool] Big pay outs have big entry fees.
[signature]
You still have time, T4m, the tourney is in October. See the link: [url "http://www.usopenkmt.com/"]http://www.usopenkmt.com/[/url]

With over 500 boats, I'm sure they are not all pros. Uou can even put in at Murrels Inlet... If I lived there and had a boat, I'd be in it - over $25,000 first prize and the Calcutta is usually even more!

If you need a crew member, give me a call - I'll have a couple vacation days saved!

Snook.Hooker
(also catches kings!)
[signature]
Well, if i'm in the position to tackle that tourney come that time, it's a possibility. You're not too far away. My only fishing buddy is my father in law, and his health wouldn't allow him to do it. I like to have atleast three on board during a tournament. How would we spit the 25,000? [cool] Any other takers on the third member of the crew?
[signature]