Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
painting lead
i just got a couple of big lead sinkers i plan on using in a month or so. the problem is that when i touch them they get lead all over my hands. i would like to paint them to prevent this problem.

what kind of paint will stick well to lead? i dont want to just exchange the problem of lead on my hands for paint wiping off onto my hands. what would you guys suggest as far as types of paint? (keeping in mind that these arent worth spending much money on) would regular old spray paint work?
[signature]
a good enamel spraypaint should solve your problems. ive painted jigs with it to get the right color combinations. just make sure you let it dry good and if it chips you can just touch it up really easy. hope this helps
[signature]
thanks a lot petty. i'll get some and get them painted up. i think i'll like that they can be touched up because they will spend a lot of time hitting bottom!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Go to the tool section at Home Depot and look for a can of PlastiDip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9670;][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Comes in several colors. Dip it, let it dry and it wears well on sinkers and heavy jigs. Designed for tool handles, but makes a heavy coating on other goodies too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also good for painting the inside of leaky waders when you get a bad seam or a lot of little pinhole leaks in one area. You can also use it to reinforce a bottom seam on tubes and toons, to keep them from wearing out from dragging. Just recoat once in awhile.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Only open the top part way and when you are finished using it, duct tape around the edge to seal it and then keep it in the refrigerator. Keeps a long time without drying that way.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks TD, that stuff looks pretty sweet! i'll go have a look at the depot
[signature]
you can paint lead with model car paint mix colors together to get what you want. then use a brush to apply a thin coat of epoxy. this will make the paint last a long time banging the bottom. later chuck
[signature]
Now that's a great tip, Thanks!!

for jigs, I use the powder paint, unless they're my larger style flippin' jigs, then I prime em, airbrush em with polymer vinyls and metallics, and clear coat em for durability.
[signature]
now is the time to hit your halloween outlet, pickup a bottle of glow in the dark fingernail polish. I use it, it dose help. and with this you can make any jig glow in the dark.

follow most any of our sporting good banners to find glow in the dark hot-n-tots. "what they call them in mich." cabela's and most every where carries them.

the stuff I use is [url "http://www.herbiesmagicdust.com/"][#000000]Herbie's Magic Dust[/#000000][/url]

I can turn any jig head to a glow head.
[url "http://www.herbiesmagicdust.com/movies/howto.mpg"]http://www.herbiesmagicdust.com/movies/howto.mpg[/url]
[signature]
we used to use a simmilar product when I was a kid, but back then we had to heat our pliers in the oven to get the plastic coating to activate and stick to the metal.
[signature]