Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floating the Jordanelle in January
Well FB2 and I went to Jordanelle this morning and did a little float tubing around the boat ramp. There was some thin ice on that part of the lake but still plenty of open water. There were a few boats out fishing and one carzy out wakeboarding!!

The plan was to get there at sun up but FB2 couldn't drag his young behind out of bed until 8:30. The old guy was up drinking coffee at 6. We hit the water around 9:30 and fished in about 25 feet of water. I marked one fish on the sonar by the boat ramp. The sun was shinning there was no wind and it was a perfect January day for fishing. Well after one pass down the shore line FB2 said he feet were getting cold and starting to hurt so I sent him to shore to warm up. I continued to fish only I moved to deeper water. The water temp was 37 degrees and I was now in 45 to 50 foot of water and the ice was getting thicker. I was using a white foxee with garlic sent and tipped with a nightcrawler as the wax aorm did nothing. Now I get stopped by the ice. It's about a quater of an inch think and I cannot move the sheet. So I decide to rock the tube up and down and break through the ice. This works great and has one other advantage! I start catching fish! The jigging action of the tube attracts my first bow in a long time. Nothing big mind you about 14 inches but it still was fun. Now I have been concentrating on breaking through the ice and wondering what I will do if I poke a hole in the tube. I hadn't even looked at the sonar until after I had caught that lil bow. I look down and there at 43, 42, 44, and 41 feet are a group of fish mixed in with the structure. Thanks BLM, Tube Dude, and all the rest of you guys for the jigging tips. For the next 15 mintues or so I caught fish after fish for a total of 6. All between 12 and 14 inches and all on the white foxee. It was a blast!!! Well I wanted to float back to the hole again but now my feet were starting to hurt from being so cold so I paddled in to shore for a break. On the way in I handed FB2 a white foxee and the garlic sent and told him where and how I was picking them up. He headed for the ice pack like a seal. It wasn't long before I saw him hook-up. His first catch from a tube, and his only fish for the day I'm sorry to say. But we had a great time, the weather couldn't have been better, and we had no problems at all.
[signature]
Wow, first Bob thinks his boat is an ice breaker, and now you are doing it in a float tube. What's next, someone swimming though the ice? Congratulations Marty for you and your son getting into some fish.
[signature]
On my way home from Strawberry on Saturday, I saw all the open water on Jordanelle and gave thought to Tubing it. I am glad to hear you did well.
[signature]
[cool], I been thinking of taking my boat up there. I still haven't found a way to insulate my cast. Lindon boat harbor is boring.

tomegun [Wink]
[signature]
Hey there Greenhorn welcome aboard! Now for that arm of yours. I didn't have a cast on my leg just an 11 pound plate to hold it together. So when i went fishing and had to stand in the cold water for hours (in rubber waders back then) I wrapped it with a peice of foam padding for insulation and that did the trick. Kept it in place with an ace bandage and could fish all day. Hope that helps.
[signature]
[cool], what is a greenhorn anyway?

I'm in an ankle cast. and fallen and can't git up,lol. 26 more days til the cast comes off. I might have to find some xmas stockings to keep warm. Nylons are a warm weather thing [Wink]. I want to ice fish or spring to get going in full force[size 6]. PRAY FOR RAIN...[unsure] [/size]
[signature]
greenhorn is just a fun way of showing yor new to the forum. as you post your icon will change
[signature]