Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what determines where you fish??
just interested on how you determine on where to go fishing
[signature]
most of the time fishing mag.and newspapers reports are atleast a week old,so combined with that and reports from friends,tacklestore and fishing site,usually helps me find the fish
[signature]
two major factors contrubute to the disision of where I go fishing.

one season.
two which way the wind is blowing.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff4040]Go make your own. It is called experience. If you know the lake very well and have fished it for years, you typically know when and where to fish.[cool][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
boy,do i know that,i don't know how many times we duck behind and island ,or move closer to shore just to get a relief from the wind.anouther factor this year ,for me,might be gas prices.if my paycheck doesn't go up,i might have to stay closer to home this year
[signature]
Season Plays a big role for me as well. Spring and fall are sweet water, summer will be more salt this year. The fishing boards help me decide whats happening where.
[signature]
There are many factors that play part for my fishing decision. Water temp. is a big one, wind strength and direction, barrometric pressure, sea conditions, moon phase, and all sorts of other things. The day before, i'll check out the weather. If the seas offshore are looking pretty foul and/or the wind is kicking like 20 knotts; i'll start looking towards inshore salt water or fresh water river. If the Air temp has been staying pretty steady, as in no drastic changes in Temp with in the last 3 or 4 days, and the moon is towards new or full, it's hands down inshore saltwater......Especially if the Barrometric pressure is in the "3"s, that seems to make the bait fish huddle more inshore. Each particular variable also affects what type of fish I target as well. Also, one big factor is if I have enough gas money to pull my 4000 pound boat to the beach and back.[cool] $2.50 a gallon is a big decision maker. (20 gallon tank on truck, 45 gallon tank on boat= lots of cash) No matter what the conditions are like, I can head to the local rivers blindly and catch fish. So when the money is tight, or the weather looks crappy, it's off to the river I go.
[signature]
I hear the gas crunch, especialy this past year, and I have fears for the coming season as well.

Last year's gas prices had me casting off my front porch. need I say I fell way short of hitting water. same deal for ice fishing, there was some ice to be found, but a man needed a fist full of dollars to get the dirty the poor and the ugly out on the water....
[signature]
You're lifes a Vacation dude!!!!!! You live in Hawaii! You can catch bill fish year around, and don't need a big boat to do it. I'll trade places with you anytime![cool] BUT, if you don't have a boat, you're kinda stuck I guess, and charters are rather pricey off the big aloha.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Local paper fishing reports and WEATHER. This time of the year my local paper reports on which lakes will be stocked and when. When it is real windy you can probably find me on-line. Also when it is too hot[/size][/green][/font] [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=15039;]
[signature]
I know what you mean about the wind. Usually, i'll try and fight the wind. I keep two anchors in the boat just for that senario. however, if it gets too bad, i'm like you, you can probably find me online.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]The trouble with float tubing in the wind is that you might wind up on the other side of the lake with now way to get back. Haven't quite learned how to tack that sucker.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Mmmm, that's honestly something i've never done, "float tubing." I don't know much about it, but it sounds pretty deviant from a normal day of fishing.[cool]
[signature]
Hey T4me, When you get out here to Cali, I will be sure to get you out on a tube and hook you up on some nice LMB. We can probably make a floatilla out of it and get some of the other BFT Cali tubers out too.[cool]
[signature]
Now that sounds outstanding. My little boy would love to do something like that as well. Is it something he can do? He's about to turn 11, and swims better than I do. I'd have to find something for the old lady to do, she's not crazy about fishing, atleast not like me.[crazy]
[signature]
I have a couple of extra tubes and fins. Enough for you and your son. Perhaps your wife could hook up with mine and go shopping or something.[cool]
[signature]
Success at other areas, distance I'm willing to travel, and time of day. Some places are not good in the morning, and others are great in the evening.
[signature]
That's actually a really great point. Alot of areas are better than others at different times of the day. Like the Little Pee Dee river for instance. First thing in the morning, the catfishing is almost nonexistant, however, the bream fishing is Okay but slow. About mid day the bream fishing stops with the heat, and the catfish start to nibble with the rising temp in the deep holes they lay in during daylight hours. Then, by afternoon, it's starting to cool down, the bream are hitting hard by then and the catfishing is great because they are getting ready to make their transition from the deep holes to the shallows to feed. I like to catch the big cats right before they move to the shallows in the late evening, so I hit them early afternoon. And Tide is a huge factor. If you don't know which fish bite on which tide, you're not going to have much luck, and that doesn't just apply to saltwater either. There is a freshwater river here in S.C. called the Waccamaw, which is a tidal freshwater river. If you don't fish the right tide, you won't catch a thing.
[signature]
I do try to glean as much info as i can from websites and weather expectations..but in the end i like to experiment and see what happens

cyas
rc
I go and find out for myself!! I've caught some mighty nice fish from places that others said had nothing worth catching in them. What the fish were doing or biting on yesterday or last week has little to NO reflection on what they are going to be doing tomorrow anyway.
[signature]