Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick trip to Jordanelle 3/25
Started the day with the Scouting for food drive. There are only 5 boys in the troop. One had pnemonia, one was skiing, one was out of town. That left me with two boys to cover our area. One had to leave half-way through which left me with one kid to finish. Not a problem. We finished by 11:30 and we headed for home. The last little fella asked me when we (the scouts) were going fishing again. I told him I didn't know, but we would work on it. He told me he had only caught one white bass in his whole life. That was all it took. My son was in Wyo, so I had no fishing buddy this weekend. I asked him if he wanted to go fishing today. His face lit up, got the nod from his parents, and were on our way by noon!

Got to rockcliff at about 12:30 and set out for the South bank. Drilled a hole, dropped in, explained the Marcum, set up his pole, explained the strike indicator, and set him to it. Watched for 10 minutes with just a couple of looks, but no hits. Decided that wouldnt do, so I started drilling holes along the bank.(PapaBaruu thinks I drill alot of holes[shocked]) Moved him to another hole and he got a couple of hits. Boy did that excite him! Still no hookups. Moved to the third hole, and a great big red blob started to move up from the bottom to meet his jig. He asked what that was and I told him to throw is bail just as the fish got to his bait. He did and BANG! No nibble, no strike indicator necessary, the whole pole bent over and the drag(set light for a beginner) started whining! Two or three minutes later he pulled a beautiful 18.5 inch rainbow out! He started doing the Indian victory dance all around his new trophy! Priceless! He got out an old camera and tried to take some pics, I got some with my cell phone.(Sorry still trying to figure out how to get a pic out of a phone) Finally got him to start fishing again by mentioning that the finder was showing more fish.

Ok, back on task. He caught some more small fish and worked on setting the hook for a while. Got pretty good at all the basics. About 3:00 he sees a fish come up to look at his offering. Indicator takes a dip and he sets the hook. Perfect. The fish starts shaking its head, and I can tell from the way it shakes it's a big fish. Then it took off, and offf and offff! Peeled drag until I was looking at the spool to make sure he wasn't going to run out of line on the small reel! OK, got my attention now! Finally the fish tires some and the drag gets quiet. He reels it in for a ways and Mr fish decides to go for another run. I haven't seen runs like this all year. (probably a good thing I'm not holding the rod[crazy]) He followed directions and reeled like a pro. Finally he gets the fish close to the hole. Now something new to worry about...seven inch hole![unsure] We can see the fish swimming past the hole, but because he's new at the game he can't get the head turned up the hole!! It's killing me! Big brown! Finally he turns the head up the hole and out slides a twenty-two inch brown!!! We both do the Indian victory dance, high fives...Wow what a fish.

He catches one more fish to fill his limit. I take a turn at fishing and catch one and lose one at the hole. He ended up with eleven fish and me one. Not much action for me, but that wasn't what it was all about today. Future fisherman on his way...

Sorry so long, excellent day on the ice.

Chester
[signature]
Sounds like a very productive day for the young beginner! I'll bet he will remember that trip for the rest of his life!
[signature]
Man, thats awesome. Great job on getting the kid out and getting him on some nice fish. KB is right, he'll remember that for the rest of his life. What an awesome experience for both of you!!!.
[signature]
Great report .
[signature]
Nice report, How's the Ice up there?
[signature]
Thats one of the best fishing stories I have read on this website for along time. Nothing better than a kid having a great time on his first fishing trip. My grandson caught a brown about that size last year at Jordanelle. And I know how thrilled he was. I was even more proud when he put it back[sly][sly][sly]
[signature]
Great report, there is nothng more forfilling than having a youngster out fish you.
[signature]
Great story, thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Great report and story. Thats awesome that you took out a neighbor kid to get him hooked. If you can get the pictures to post I would love to see them.

Sure is good to get the youngsters involved. I broke a pole last year on what I'm pretty sure was a good brown, lost him at the hole, and my son always brings it up when we fish whether, we are on the ice or in the boat. There is always the "one that got away" stoies, but thats what keeps you coming back for more.
[signature]
EXCELLANT REPORT!!!!! I WON'T MENTION HOW MANY BROWNS I HAVE CAUGHT OUT OF THERE ICE FISHING THIS YEAR. BUT DaBOMB IS STILL WAITING TO CATCH HIS FIRST. THEM FLASHERS ARE AWESOME AREN'T THEY. I LOVE IT WHEN THE THICK RED COMES IN. HOW WAS THE ICE AT THE EDGE AT THE BOAT RAMP? BY THE WAY THIS WARD HAS TWO QUORUMS 25 - 30 DEACON'S ALONE. YOU KNOW I WAS GATHERING FOOD ALL DAY. BUT I SNUCK OUT FRIDAY AND PLAYED HOOKEY FROM WORK. KEN DON'T KNOW IT BUT HE WAS WATCHING ME AND DaBOMB ON THE CAMERA. PIKEMAN GO FISH
[signature]
[cool]Awesome report, Chester! You 'da man for doing your good deeds this morning with the scouts, and then for taking one fishing to get him hooked is even better!! Like was previously mentioned, he'll remember that for the rest of his life, and will most likely want to go again!

Can't wait till my daughter is old enough to take out on a trip like that and watch her fight her first fiesty 'bow or brownie through the ice! She's only 2 in a couple of weeks, so I guess I've got a couple more years till she's ready for the cold weather fishin'. Hope to get her out after some gills this summer though...
[signature]
Great report. ove to read those no matter how long they are. I love to take kids fishing even better when they are catching. I can go all day not catching as long as the kids are hooking up.

Fishfull thinking Macscabin
[signature]
Great job taking the kid out and introducing him to nature. When his school buddies say let's go to the party he will say just follow me to the water's edge.
[signature]
Not sure who this Ken guy is, but I had a hunch that was you out there on Friday.
[signature]
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry about not reporting on the conditions.

The ice at the bottom of the ramp has started to break up, but not very bad. It is still real easy to get on at the edge of the ramp.

There was 1-2 inches of slush on top of the ice, but not bad to walk on at all. 15+ inches of clear ice under the slush. Two guys walked way out past the bouys and around the point on the west side. I didn't want to venture that far, but they tested the ice where it got darker and kept right on going. Be careful this time of year we don't want any accidents.

I'd like to make it out a couple of more times if the ice hold up.

P.S. I saw PIKEMAN and DaBOMB over by the docks Friday. Looked like a great day to be fishing, but I was stuck in the office destined to sit and watch you two having all the fun. Maybe I'll have to skip work sometime this week and experience it myself.[Wink]
[signature]
That is the best post I have seen on this site. Thanks
[signature]
I took my 20 month old out fishing last saturday to [url "http://www.utahfishinginfo.com/urbanponds/salempond.php"]Salem pond[/url]. He sure does love the fish!!! His first trip was last summer to Salem pond as well, where I caught a few little green sunfish and he absolutely loved it. I can't wait for him to be old enough to do it himself.
[signature]