Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soft edges, hard head
Went up to Pineview yesterday, looking for crappie through the ice. Thought to try in the narrows. The snow from the parking area to the ice was frozen, the ice was at least 15" thick. Caught nothing worth keeping. About noon, I left to to try the Ogden river. The edges looked funny, so I tapped the ice with my auger, everything looked solid. One step from the bank, 18" from shore, I broke through the ice. The water there was about thigh-deep and it was cold beyond description. I hopped onto the shore and climbed up the hill. The snow was soft and a few times I sank up to my waist. My feet were burning cold! I got to my truck, tossed off my wet snow pants, wrung the water from my socks. I was glad that I had wool socks, poly thermals, and fleece pants instead of denim. After a few minutes, the intense cold was gone, and I felt cool and damp, but OK. My hard head told me I could stop and fish the river in a couple of places, but my smart head told me to just go home. I went home.

Just a reminder to all the good folks in BFT land: watch the edges and be safe.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Tough break!(that's a joke, LOL!) Glad it was nothing more than a good soaking that you were able to walk away from. Late season ice fishing, especially in lower elevations is chancy with the warming weather. Glad you got out ok safe and sound.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Glad you made it back to the shore line safely. I took a ride to pineview today. The edges all around the shore line looked a little week. The south fork and north fork rivers are eating away at the ice as they come into the reserviour. Middle fork is starting to open up a little where the stream comes in. The ice shouldn't hold up for too much longer. Most years I have my boat on pineview during the second week of April.
[signature]
Glad you made it out safely. That ice water can really put the chill on a body in a hurry. Thanks for the update.
[signature]
[Smile]Glad your smart head won that battle.[Smile]
[signature]