Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Much Bleach?
No Zonker, not one of your goldens. This little red eyed creature is an Albiono rainbow.

[inline ALBINO,1.jpg]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hey there FGD - did you catch that colorless dude?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Sure did. Freaky fish, you can almost see their insides.
[signature]
The Logan used to have a large population of them. It is pretty cool to spot them underwater, they sure stand out.
[signature]
Is this a type of spicies of fish or just like other albinos happen naturally. Also I'm wondering why there was a high population of them in the logan?

Trent
[signature]
Good Question! Again, maybe too much bleach.......[Wink]
[signature]
Albinos were bred because I think that they were more disease resistant in the hatchery. Logan being the heart of the experimental stations for fish always had a lot of them. Back in the 70's when I was a starving college student I caught and ate many an Albino because they were so easy to spot and catch. Actually back then we caught many that were well over 5# and a few I know pushed over 7#. I don't think they grew that large in the river but where planted that big. Personally I just never liked them. They didn't seem to fight well and they were extremely easy to catch.
[signature]
Thanks for the explination

Trent
[signature]
Someone from the Utah DWR told me that albinos were planted because they were easy to see in the water. Most of the big ones in the water were old brood stock that were no longer needed.
I understand that Utah will stop producing albinos and in their place raise and stock more tiger trout. Tigers are less susceptible to whirling disease.
[signature]
I'd love to see some tiger trout in the rivers. How do you all feel about that?

Trent
[signature]