Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFD regulations
During a recent boater safety course I took. The instructor said that starting this year if you are out in your boat on the water before May 1st you have to be wearing your PFD and then after May 1st the "in the boat" rule kicks back in.
Has anyone heard this new rule? It needs to be clarified. I have e-mailed the coast guard and hope to have an answer soon. Chief
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is a good rule in "cold water" states. There are several that have adopted it. The idea is that if you fall in the water when the temps are real low, you won't last long without a PFD. Even with a PFD you will get hypothermia quickly, and may be dead before anyone can come to your rescue (if you are alone), but at least your body will be floating for recovery.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is one law that is designed to help protect us from ourselves. There are a lot of tickets written for boaters that have NO life preservers on board at all, even with several kids in the boat. Now that's stupidity.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I still haven't heard back from the Coast Guard on this matter, but I will error on the side of safety and be wearing one. I use type 3 vests and also the inflatable type 3's. These are good for intercoastal waters. I also had noticed my flares date was running out. I was carring the locate only hand held day and night type. But this year I up graded to alert and locate. The alert side gives me arial signal flares on the locate side it gives me hand held flares and whistle. They are easily stored on board,not to bad on the piggie bank and will help when I'm out on Lake Ontario.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Now all you need are a couple of surface to surface missiles for inconsiderate boaters that setup in your chum slick and you got it made.[/#0000ff]
[signature]