Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pocket size survival kit
take a altiod box put in wire saw water purifcation tablets hooks line and sinkers,mirror,needle and thread,bandades,cottonballs soaked in wax pack of waterproof matches,and 10ft of paracute cord for snares and shelter tieing.a knife with a heavy blade and a milar blanket.
[signature]
Sounds like an easy survival kit to put together. I had one like that for a while and it worked good.
[signature]
yeAH ANYTHING YOU CAN PUT IN YOUR POCKET LIKE THIS USAULLY DONT GET LEFT BEHIND
[signature]
A couple years back I put a bunch together that were a lot like that and put them everywhere i.e. in all my backpacks, my glovebox, my girlfriend's glovebox, etc. You might think about throwing a couple of band-aids, some aspirin, and a couple anti-histamines in there too. That stuff doesn't take up any real space, but believe me you sure will be grateful to have it.
[signature]
That's very true Ben, you never know when a few little supplies can be a big help. I also keep small amounts of pain relievers, band aids, and things of that nature in my pick up. They have come in handy on more than one occasion. [cool]
[signature]
I should start keeping stuff like that in my truck
[signature]
Square Altoids mint boxes are not waterproof. The hinges have openings that allow water to enter.
However, the round Altoids Sour Candy tins are waterproof because they fit tightly like a shoeshine can -- another excellent container for a pocket survival kit.
I used to teach basic wilderness survival in the early 1970s, as a civilian. I was taught by a retired U.S. Air Force survival instructor, who had 23 years of experience in desert, arctic and wooded survival. He taught pilots, Special Forces, etc.
I was privileged to learn from him. But he also learned from me: one day I showed him those trick birthday cake candles that relight themselves after being blown out. I put some in my small survival kit, and waterproof match container. A candle is great for getting damp shavings and tinder going, and if this trick candle blows out it will save you matches.
He was impressed.
Back in the 70s, we used to assemble survival kits in soap dishes.These could easily be carried in a shirt pocket or jacket pocket. In those days, you could still find slip-fit soap dishes made of aluminum or steel, which meant that you could brew a cup of tea in it. Wild Strawberry leaves or Rose Hips were our natural tea of choice. There was no need to pack a tea bag and take up valuable space.
A metal Band-Aid can was also another popular container. You waterproofed its hinge openings with a wrap of duct tape, leaving a folded-back tab on the end of the tape to grasp if your fingers were cold.
Avoid any container that you can't open easily, even with cold fingers. Shoeshine containers either have a key on the side, or a detent on top, to flip off the lid.
A Mylar "Space Blanket" is too bulky to fit in a small kit like this, but may be carried separately in a zippered or buttoned shirt pocket.
It doesn't take much to save your own life. The most invaluable item is your mind. Keep your wits, don't give up, and you may live to see trick birthday candles on your next birthday cake.
[signature]
Sushi tins were awesome. Had a snap clip top that was waterproof and secure. Don't know where to get them, but they were awesome.

Always liked the notion of a 'safety kit', cuz you never know when you might need to saw off an arm with a swiss army knife to survive!!!
Coyotespinner, you read my mind.
My current pocket survival kit is in a clamp-lid sushi box about 4X3 inches. The lid clamps down tight against a rubber seal, to waterproof it.
Run a short wire across the clamps on both ends of the bottom box and you've got a handle, to heat water or cook. It's made of stainless steel.
Wonderful pocket survival box.
I haven't seen sushi boxes like this since the 1980s. I don't even recall where I bought this one. They may be available in Asian grocery stores, I don't know.
I'm happy to have mine. Works great.
[signature]
I have been in this similar fishing trip and survival inclination for the longest time and things are really quite hard to maintain and keep up with. From going out to be the more effective class and making sure everything works together, it goes without saying that there are far more needed things to make sure so that everything will go in order.

That is why being prepared with anything you could use would be kept to the optimum.
[signature]
Multitool, knife, food and medicines are what's included in my kit. I keep them inside each bag that I use. Smile
[signature]