Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuart, Florida Inshore Report: 01-21-03
Last week’s temperatures kept many anglers indoors. We managed a few trips aboard Catch 22, again fishing deep holes and cuts. The shallow grass flats will definitely produce this time of year, with the afternoon your best bite time allowing the sun to heat things up. Both trips last week were morning departures, so we hit area bridges where water depth is at least 12 feet. Six snook to 28” along with lots of black drum running 3-9 lbs., scattered jacks and small mangrove snapper kept the anglers very busy. Trollrites with shrimp once again prevailed.

Hell’s Gate was still holding fish on high outgoing tide with pompano, Spanish mackerel, jacks and ladyfish. Most boats in this area anchor up in about 10 feet. I prefer drifting, covering more water. I guess the only time I really break out my anchor is on night trips or when I target sheephead in the St. Lucie Inlet near high or low tide when the current is slack. I didn’t make it outside the rocks of the St. Lucie Inlet last week, but rest assured the mackerel are still there and will be around for another two months.

Last week a few of us fished the South jetty in Fort Pierce with scattered flounder on the Ocean side. On the inlet side, I release a 40” snook on Tuesday that was a blast on 12 lb. test. This fish made 3 separate 50-yard runs until he finally tired out. It took a good five minutes to revive him and make sure he was released unharmed. An angler next to me had a 24” redfish, also fishing the inlet side. Everyone is eagerly awaiting the opening of snook season on February 1st. If the weather remains cold, this is the place to catch snook that are hanging in the warmer temperatures the inlets provide. Cast up current and let your bait sink. I like an hour before and after each tide when the water is slower. If it’s “ripping” simply go to a heavier jig. Also deeper water, near bridges will be holding plenty of fish. Flair hawks worked slowly along the bottom is your best bet.

If the temperatures remain cool the next month or so, there’s really no need for pre-dawn departures. Heading out by 8 a.m. or later will help you out in the grass flats. Don’t be surprised to encounter some monster bluefish (over l0 lbs.) roaming inshore. They seem to know there are some easy pickings inside.

Capt. Bob Bushholz

http://www.catch22fish.com

(772) 225-6436