Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly boxes
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]How much are you willing to pay for a fly box? Richard Wheatley makes boxes that sell up to $$215. Here is one of his cheaper models - gulp - for only $106.[/size][/green][/font] [right]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=15064;][/right]
[signature]
i think i'll pass.those are for someone with more money than brains.
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]You have got that right tomc.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]I actually sold some of those while working at Orvis. They are collector items to be handed down from generation to generation. I have my Grandfathers (I don't use it however).[/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]It's like Orvis's 150 anniversary bamboo rod for $4,150. (which are all gone)[/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple]That is why I bought my bamboo before the store closed. Three piece Battenkill that they don't make anymore. $$$$$$$ collector item.[/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple][/purple][/font]
[signature]
Hi Dryrod,

Actually I don't pay a thing ...... after I eat all the Cracker Jacks out of it![Wink]

I have not found a 'fancy' box I like yet! Especially aluminum clip type !! Grrrrrr

El Cheap 8 compartment box with tiny little lids on each compartment then secured with a lid is just fine. Paid $1 at a yard sale .... for two![cool]

JapanRon
[signature]
i have a few fly boxes that were handed down,they weren't store bought.my great great grandfather made them,they have some miles on them and some stories for sure.$4,150 for a flyrod would go in a glass case with some insurance.i have a hard time spending money just to look at it
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]My neighbor down the street paid $2500 for a bamboo rod and said he got a good deal. Have to ask him about how much he pays for his fly boxes. [/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
A box for $215??? I would expect to throw some empty hooks, thread, feathers and fur into something like that and have it tie the flies for me. Yikes!!!![shocked]
[signature]
I once spent about $14 on one that looks a lot like that Wheatley in your photo. And even then I cringed at the cost of it. Most of my 20 or so boxes were only a couple of bucks each. The bulk of my money has gone into rods, reels, lines, waders and floatation - you know, the important stuff.
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][size 3][green]I hear you Fishhound. Some people are just concerned about bragging rights.[/green][/size][/font][/center]
[signature]
Again I say, they are collectors items. Kind of like a silver dollar or a troy ounce of silver (999 thing) They both have the same amount of silver, but the dollar is worth more.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]No offense meant FGD we're just having fun. I would hate to tell you how much that I have paid for my photo equipment over the years. Or for that matter for just one lens.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Wow! no I wasn't offended, infact I have no idea why I kept defending, I wouldn't buy one either and I could have gotten on for half price while working at orvis. Would rather get another rod hehehehehe.
[signature]