Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hydrofoil?
hey, ive never seen this board before- BFT has thought of it all havent they! i had a question, and this seems to be the appropriate board. i have a v6 inboard and its a little slow out of the hole. i was wondering about hydrofoils. do they really work or are they a gimmick? some of them look a little hokey! anyone tried them?
[signature]
glad you found us,yes hydrofoils work,and will help you boat .hydrofoils allows you to stay on plane at lower speeds,defeats cavitation and prop blowout(which allows you to get out of the hole quiker)and helps in sharper turning
[signature]
thanks a lot for the reply! i guess i better get me a hydrofoil. what brand or type would you reccommend for an omc 800 outdrive? (3.8 litre v6 motor)
[signature]
Also, if you've got a larger boat, you may want to consider trim tabs. They do the same thing, just more stable for heavier apps.[cool]
[signature]
my boat is an 18.5 foot ski boat. it does have a trim motor which i use to help a bit. i do have a lot of weight in the boat which makes it a little slower to get up and going. i have the weight oriented frontward as best as i can get it- hopefully a hydrofoil will help a bit. do trim tabs just go on the corners of the transom?
[signature]
yes trim tabs go on the corners,they help keeping a level plane,allows a smaller wake.alot of peaple use both hydrofoils and trim tabs.but for what you described,a poor hole shot,i would start with the hydro foil.since the trim tabs dont help for that problem.to answer you other question,there are many manufactures,like dolefin,stingray ect.,i would look into either on of these they have been around a long time,and stand by their product.i would shy away from the lesser known names
[signature]
I had a stingray on a previous boat I owned, they are pretty tough.[cool]
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] I use hydrofoils on my little 16 ft'er with an 85 hp Evinrude . Very big help.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
thanks a lot for the response! is that something i should have installed, or is it possible to do it myself? i know there is some drilling involved- should i be nervous about drilling my outdrive?
[signature]
If you get a high quality whales tale, installation is a snap. You'll have it installed yourself in 10 minutes. [cool]
[signature]
do be nervous,it is vey easy,like tarpon,said you will be done in 10 min.most of that is getting your tools out.. lol
[signature]
I was flipping through Basspro today and they have them for $50.00 or cheaper. Great!! Another toy for the boat. I did like the part that it will save you gas.
[signature]
no it dosen't,it should fit flat.the ones i have put on i have had no problems
[signature]
Hey, I forgot about this post! I guess I should give an update. I installed a hydrofoil this spring and it has made a noticeable difference in the time it takes my boat to plane. Its now quicker to plane, and stays on plane at lower speeds. When the water warms up its going to be a little easier to pull skiers and tubers! Thanks to all of those who gave me advice on hydrofoils way back when I started this thread!
[signature]
your welcome.i glad things worked out to your expectations
[signature]
Hey Bkidder, glad to hear it worked out for you. You should also notice an increase in gas mileage as well. With the boat jumping on plane quicker, the motor uses alot less gas due to less drag getting the boat up. [cool]
[signature]
Yeah, I've heard about better gas mileage... but, with gas being so expensive I've decided to not calculate mileage in the boat. I dont want to know! LOL
[signature]