Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAFC members
I was just wondering if any of my fellow BFT'ers are also members of the North American Fishing Club.

For those of you who dont know what that is and would like more info PM me and I will send you the link to the web site for info, Unless the MODS tell me its okay to post it up. They are not a message board competeing with BFT, but they do have one for members available so im not sure about the "conflict of interests" area on that note.

Breif explanation...a club commited to the passing on of fishing through knowledge to youth, and also to preserving the enviroment and promoting habitat and access oportunities for all. ESPN2 has a show produced by NAFC, I think its North American Fisherman. I really like the club, there is a publication/magazine that comes out 10 times a year and its "dues" are reasonable I think, like 18 bucks a year or something, cheaper if you enroll on line. you get to test new gear that hasnt been released for mass sale yet and give input on what you like or dont like about it. I have found a fruitful relationship with knowledge and info to expand my "expertise" at my sport. I like it all in all. I was wondering if any of you are also members of that organization?
[signature]
You are one of the few I have heard who have actually stated that they enjoyed being a member. I was a member for a year, and got tired of receiving endless junk mail to either buy something or to join one of their other clubs. There have been a few threads over the years on NAFC. Here is one of the livelier ones:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=216801;search_string=North%20American%20Fishing%20Club;#216801"]NAFC Link[/url]

[signature]
I have received their junk mailer from time to time. I'm not a fan of their come-on. The question is: have you 'tested' any gear yet? If so, what gear or what kind of gear? I have wondered if that part is nothing more than the cheap fishhooks they send in the mailer. Smile

No offense here...if they work out for you, that is great. I just wonder how much a big national thing like that can give you that would help in our local fishing environment. Fishing here is much different than the areas the national things tend to focus on, being the deep south and the great lakes areas.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I was a "charter member". I did like the basic concept and the magazine...at first. Then, it suddenly took on the look of the tail wagging the dog. The "goodies" were only there to lure people in and make them susceptible to the nonstop promotions. Every time you turn around, you are getting another "invoice", unrequested books or other promotional material. And, if you are not smart, you will pay to send the books back. If you ARE smart, you can keep them and not pay for them. They will get wise after while.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I cancelled my membership at one point, because their publication became mostly ads (like most magazines) and the quality of the editorial material was really not educational or stimulating...to me at least. I also got tired of sending back books and/or fighting with them about paying for things I had not ordered. It took me almost two years and a change of address to get them off my back.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those silly renewal packages they send, along with the patches and lousy tackle are a joke. It is also virtually impossible to ever get anything worthwhile to test if you are part of that program.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My "humble" opinion.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Not a member of NAFC but LIFE member of NAHC[Smile]
[signature]
They're the same deal as NAFC. Same garbage. That's my opinion.
[signature]
I'm a life member and no regrets. I didn't join for the "free stuff" I like to read about fishing. Whether it be here or Maine, there is a tactic that is a little different for each body of water. If I can learn something new or incorporate it into one of my techniques (or habits) it's worth it to me.
I've never received anything I haven't paid for, never got a bill for something I didn't get etc, etc. There are alot of ads in the magazine but thats what most magazines are, or websites for that matter-look at the side columns. Anyways, I like the magazine, the "free" hooks are as thick as nickel but I did test an Energizer Headlamp with 3 white LED lights and one red, still have it and still use it. My wife calls it my "geek gear".
As far as their sister (or brother) programs, just about every other company does the same. Look at Pure Fishing Products and tell me they're not breaking the bank. They are just trying to make money, It's the American way. If they want to conserve wildlife hooray for them, I've not joined the "others" but support them, I think it's Wildlife America. Most likely you will never see them in Utah but I still have respect for what they do. Just my two cents.
[signature]
I have tested many items for them. The hook to that is that you have to fill out a "tester profile" either online or have them mail you one. it is a "benefit" you have to request. I have tested things like the rod holder on my tube, the new bobber with a brain thingy, a rod at one point that acutally broke in use(failed test), and the latest I am awaiting is worm glow something or other...you dont actually find out "what" it is untill you see it, they do let you know it coming by sending the "report" you fill out before it gets there, they just send a list of names to the MFG's and they drop ship to you. hey I think for the money and the great info in the mag, as well as the new product reveiws, and feld test reports, I am getting my 12 bucks a year worth. plus they have a guide to guides and lodges in norh america...mexico, canada, USA, even puerto rico and guam I think.lol. that is you travel it get you a few buck off the retail admission. I am happy with it, no problems.

Yes you do get the junk mail once in a while, I dont seem to get that much, I get the "money mailer" type thing seems every 6 months but that is mostly offers for free catalogs and such. I enjoy the contests the free gear giveaway thing. i havent won that yet but i will. so for me I guess the pros out weigh the cons. I like it.
[signature]
Hey, glad it is working out for you...and glad that old boat is still holding out. Smile
[signature]