Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Motors
[email][/email][unsure]
My wife got me a new 82lb thrust transom mount Electric Motor for a xmas present.... my question is ... it calls for a 24 volt system. is there such a thing as a 24 volt battery or do you somehow connect 2 12 volt batteries together, and if you do could someone explain just exactly how you do it. Are there any special problems connected with a 24 volt system..ex any special charging etc..... thank you in advance for your response.........mike[email]
[signature]
yes there is such a thing as a 24 volt battery and yes you can hook up 2 12 volt batteries to make 24 volts

If I were you I would go to the place of perchase and ask the service department for instilation instructions.

this information should have came with the motor.

if they can not help you you can go to a reputable boat shop, they can instruct you as how to do this.

I have yet to see a 24 volt motor, I can only emagin that it is huge.

If you can provide me with the name of the motor, modol number, and manufacture,

I will be happy to a research check on it for you.
[signature]
no1barncowboy,
First I want to say: WELCOME TO THE GREAT AND GROWING BFT MESSAGE BOARDS!
It would help to have the manufacture name and the model to give you the most help.
But I have a generic diagram for a 2/12v batery wiring system for a single 24v motor. Hope this will be of some assistance to you.
http://www.cloudelectric.com/generic120.html
If need more info to understand this diagram just send me a private message and I will give you any assistance I can.
Again:WELCOME ABOARD!
[signature]
The idea behind the 12, 24, 36 volt system is power. You should have a switch that says 12 on one side and 24 on the other. The idea is 12 volt draws form only one of the batteries, and the 24 draws from bolth. You dont have to run on a 24 volt system. I have bolth 12 and 24 capability but only use the 12. Or in other words, only hook up to one battery. I just havent needed the extra battery. If you spend lots of time and long days on your motor, you will want to use two batteries. It depends alot on your boats layout to determine how to rig it up. If you can get two batteries in the front end, or if they are all in the rear, Kind of hard to say from here. The motor should have come with a diagram showing you how to hook up the wires. Basically its up to you how you want to rig it.
[signature]
wow that is an intresting concept.

what kind of horse power are we talking about with this kind of motor?

is it equel to like maby a one or two horse gas motor?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Here is how I hook it up. Might not be right. But it works for me.[/size][/font]

[Image: 24VoltBattery.jpg]
[signature]
It is hard to compare electric and gas motors. I belive Minn Kota had a motor they called a 3HP at one time. I feel the big difference is in torque. The electrics just don't have it. There are some high thrust models coming out that run on 3 or more batteries which can move a good size pontoon boat at a good walking speed for a few hours. I am sure someone has a formula that will show how many #'s of thrust equals 1 HP.
[signature]
i've got a m.k. and man has that thing got some power ! it can push a 17' fiberglass deep-v thru and against the detroit river current with ease ( 12 volt ) . i use it on the lakes up here as most of them forbid any gas engines .
[signature]
Has anyone come up with a conversion for # thrust to hp? Anyone out there have one?
[signature]
I have always heard them rating as pounds of thrust. My trolling motor has 32lbs of thrust/torque. It pushes a 18' boat with ease.
[signature]