Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Striper Report!!!
Wow! Thanks to all your PM's and posts, my Striper trip was awesome!
My weekend started Friday night leaving for St. George with my wife and 2 younger daughters. The plan was to leave them in St. George at my oldest daughters house, while I took her husband with me to go fishing on Saturday! We arrived in St. George around 11:30 p.m. Friday night. Got up 3 hours later (2:30 a.m.) and my son-in-law Jared and I drove the 2.5 hours to Page where we purchased our Az fishing stamps at Walmart. We then drove across the street to the Days Inn and met up with my buddy and his son who had driven in the day before with the boat. We launched at Wahweap around 6:30 and headed for the dam. Conditions were mild. Kind of warmish, with partly cloudy skies, no wind and no rain! On the way to the dam, we saw a couple of boats fishing at anchovy point...we decided to join them and fish a minute and ended up staying there the whole day!!!...or at least until 2:30 p.m. when the fishcop told us we couldn't tie right to the buoy! We caught 24 fish, with 4 of them going over 7 pounds! Multiple double's, and lots of misses! The longest fish was 29 inches. We had a blast. Our hot lure was the Glow 1/4 oz jighead, with an orange curly tail and a chunk of anchovy pitched towards the cliff and then a slow-slow retrieve, then BAM! My wrist is still sore today! When we left the buoy at anchovy point, the wind was blowing and we decided to go fillet the fish we had, regroup and then make a plan for night fishing. It was quite the logistical problem trying to figure out where to put 100 pounds of Stripers in the boat without getting slime all over the place! Anyway, we headed to the fish cleaning station at Wahweap and shared fish stories with a bunch of other fisherman there...took a few photos, filleted our fish and then realized it was way too windy to head back out on the lake, so we called it a successful trip and came home without doing the night fishing. Kind of glad we did, I don't know if my body could have taken any more punishment! 16 hours of driving for 8 hours of fishing, but I can't wait to do it again later this month! Attached are a few photos. I highly recommend that place if you haven't been!
Thanks again for all the tips!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Great report and pictures. Warm weather, lots of fish, it can't get any better than that. [cool]
[signature]
Nice trip . One of these days I hope to make it down there .
[signature]
Thanks for the report NETO, sounds like a awesome day on the lake and some good sized fish too. How far is the area you fished from the ramp? WH2
[signature]
Thats some nice size stripers Randy. Great report, awsome trip.
[signature]
Great report Randy. Hope you saved some of your good luck for the wipers.
[signature]
Looks like you guys really put the hammer down! I wish it wasn't such a long trip down there. Looks like I need to sell a kidney and finance a trip! Those stripers are a blast to catch.
[signature]
Looks like a great trip. I hope to make it this year some time. the info on bait was helpful also.

Scottieb
[signature]
I was at Bull Frog marina last week with my parents who wanted to see the Burr Trail. I asked my brother if he wanted to fish by the fuel dock at night and just see what we could catch. We went down there and I caught a nice big walleye on a rainbow lucky craft lure on the second cast!! What a surprise!!! About 15 minutes later I got slamed by a 28 inch striper and it ripped my line about 4 times before I could get it in. My brother had a flash light and when we saw how big it was we were yelling and jumping around like idiots. That was a big kick. I really wish I had a boat to get down to Powell this spring and do what you guys did. Let us know how they cook up. I have not eaten my fillets yet. Thanks for the post.
[signature]
Nice work....it makes it worth the drive...I thought we were crazy for only stayen 2 days!!![Tongue]
[signature]
WH2 - The place where we fished is very visible on the map...starting at the Dam you go north less than 1/2 mile and the lake splits off and goes straight up and also goes right...we were fishing right on the point that divides the two directions, east side of the north route, north side of the east route. It was about 2.5 miles from the Wahweap boat ramp. Less than 10 minutes in our boat at 30+mph. So from the boat ramp, just head south towards the dam. When you get to the intersection just before the dam, you can either keep going straight and go to the dam or go left towards antelope marina, stop right there. There is a buoy there...we actually attached right to the buoy (until the nice park service man told us to move...doh!)
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Kent,
Me too! I can't wait for the tournament!
Randy
[signature]
Thanks for the info NETO, I've never fished Wahweap area so I'm just trying to get an idea of the lay out. One more question, what is the launch fee at Wahweap? WH2
[signature]
Glen Canyon National . . . whatever . . . You can get in with vehicle and boat for $30 for a week or $60.00 for an annual pass. The pass is good for either Wahweap or bullfrog.

It is definately worth the trip down! man are those stripers tasty!
[signature]
Thanks for the info Jackfisher, I was hoping the high fee area was only at Bullfrog and did not apply to Wahweap. I guess you have to pay to play at Powell. I'm sure it is just me but it seems a lot to pay unless your going to be there for a week or so. I've been to Bullfrog several times but never to Wahweap, anyone got a link to a map that shows the area? Thanks. WH2
[signature]
I dunno .... right here at Bear Lake it's 7 bucks a day. That would be 21 bucks for a weekend, friday evening through Sunday, or 49 bucks for a week. With Powell at 30 bucks, weekend or week 10 bucks a day if staying only the weekend, I think it's well worth it for that lake. Those figures don't include the hauling in/out every night, Motel vs Camping .... etc. etc. Each to their own I guess. I stayed for 12 days last October and they only charged me the $30.

Go to [url "http://www.wayneswords.com/"]www.wayneswords.com[/url] for an extensive map.
[signature]
Do any of you guys know of a place down there where you can fish for stripers from shore and have good success? I would love to go down and fish for them, but I don't have a boat. I haven't been down there for a few years so with the water levels so low is there even a place where you can access the lake to fish it? (Other than the marinas?
[signature]
down from the barricdes on the east side, about a quarter mile from the barrcades alot of ,page locals were fishing from the rpocks when we were there its between anchovie point and the,barricades also there was no fee at antelope when we were there,what a bonous.
[signature]