Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle 4/1/06 ice
Decided to give Jordanelle one more try before the ice dissappears. Got to Rockcliff about 7:00 am. The ice had pulled back from the ramp about 6-7 feet. I brought waders so I put them on, found a place to step onto the ice and headed out. Spent a few of hours looking for perch, but never did find any. Ended up along the south shore fishing for trout. Pretty good numbers, but no big ones. Only one other brave soul on the ice besides me. He was from Evanston and had come down to try for perch one last time. He didn't find any either. About noon a pretty good storm rolled through and I called it a day.

Ice had about 3-4 inches of soft stuff on top with 5-7 inches of clear ice underneath, but it's getting mushy fast. The north edges(boat ramp) are breaking up fast. I wouldn't recommend the trying the ice at Jordanelle any more this year. It was my last trip there this year. The guy I met from Evanston broke through at the edge on his way off and went in up to his hips. Burrr!

Chester
[signature]
Good thing you planned ahead and brought the waders! I'll bet the perch are getting ready to drop their eggs near the river inlet. Seems like late season perching is better if you can get near some spawning sites. Thanks for the update.
[signature]